Turtles

Would Decorate Your Home with Turtle Shells?

Antonio's Bella Casa, Newport Beach, CA

Nick Brock Antiques, Dallas, TX

While these two examples above are very elegant and unique looking, the reality of the way turtle shells are shown in our house is a different story. My youngest son is quite the "bug collector" which includes all sorts of animal/creepy crawlies... and fore some reason that includes turtle shells. Here is one that is on his cabinet shelf, in front of a giant lunar moth, a walking stick, a beetle and a centipede. 

And of course we have one in a vintage fish tank. My son also deposits all sorts of dead bugs in here, especially cicada shells, which I have to dig out and discard. blech....

While I was at Marburger Farms Antique Fair in Texas, I saw a few dealers using turtle shells and making them into lamps.

These lamps were unusual, and the shell glowed from behind...

But perhaps my favourite way to use turtle shells comes from an inspiring visit to one of my favourite local stores, Mary Cates & Co. A few months ago I saw how they had used empty shells as napkin rings. It looked stunning. They had a large farm table with each place-setting done like this and it was so striking. I guess you gotta have brave dinner guests for this one. Better not serve turtle soup, or it'll totally send your guests over the edge! (all images: cashon & co)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...