Carved Wood in Antique Furniture


I really appreciate antique furniture, especially when it is a piece that has heavy hand-carving. Perhaps it is because I have tried my hand at wood-working in College, and whenever you attempt an art/trade and you realize how difficult it is, you really appreciate the creator's efforts and talent. Such it is for me with carved furniture. The image above and the four following images are from a vaisselier that has been in my family for generations. I am told my Great Great Aunt Ella had it commissioned  in 1906 and it was hand-carved by one family in Italy and took them one year to do it.  I forever remember it being in my grandparents dining room. Can you believe these are all details from one piece? The cherubs above holding the garland are sweet.


Then there are two lions on the supporting arms that are holding books with Latin writings.  
"PAX EVAN TIBI GELI MAR STA CE MEUS"
Peace + To Vanish+ To you + Weakly, Feebly + Sea + Is + This + My


Another sweet cherub...



And then there are two friezes with cherubs working and playing.  I left out the carvings of all the spooky faces, but you can see one in the first image at the very top.

This piece is a 3-dimensional standing sculpture, and I remember as a young child being fascinated by it. It has always been in our living room, and in a way it terrified me. This is one side, shown above. It looks almost like the devil? Are those little horns on his head? And while he's smiling menacingly above, the sun face on his armored chest stares right at you. 

He seems to be dressed in a 16th century style which reminds me of the 4 muskateers or such...But here's the catch with this sculpture....

It's on a swivel base, so you start to turn him ....

... and you get a peek of what awaits on the other side

It's a lovely girl in a bonnet, holding flowers. 

I remember as a child I would never let the scary man side show, and I always kept it turned to this side. That was my duty growing up in our house -- keep the statue on the pretty side!
(all images: cashon & co)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...