Some Bargain Buys Lookin' Pretty


(I just realized that every post this week is all about the "pretty!" Hmmmm....I think it's okay to admit that we all need a little beauty in our lives from time to time, whether it's admiring art, clipping flowers, or going bananas over a new purse. So here's my last "pretty post".)
This is a little nut dish that I purchased at Milton Kent Antiques in Dallas, for $10. I guess the peanuts 70 years ago were much smaller than they are today, because it's funny to think that this tiny little "bowl" is what they used to hold them! But I use it as a place to put my jewelry, like this costume necklace that has a Capricorn symbol on it, that I bought years ago at Calypso.


I purchased this circa 1940's lucite and brass Deco-inspired clock last month for $40, at an Antique Warehouse here in Dallas. As it is shown here, it had it's own original wiring, and did not work.


I took it to a local clock repair shop, and had them change it from electric to battery operated. Also, when he had it opened, he cleaned it up as well. (As soon as I saw this clock, sitting in the back and bottom of an old, dusty display cabinet, I knew I had to have it. At $40 I felt like it was a good buy, because to me, it looked like a million bucks.) I put it on my bathroom counter, in front of vintage photographs of the two MOST beautiful women I know: my Grandmother (on the right) and miles behind my Grandmom (i'm a little biased, I loved, loved, loved my grandmother), Marilyn Monroe (a present given to me by my husband).



The chair was purchased at a consignment/vintage warehouse in Dallas too. It was inexpensive, and I loved the shape of the back. I took the existing slipcover from the old chair I had here, and put it on this one. It doesn't fit perfect, there are some puckers on the end, but I am going to leave it as is, because it's fine for me!



I bought this shell for under $10, and put my bath soap on it (Acqua di Parma, my new favourite fragrance in the world - but that's another post all-together!).  The coral was a gift from a friend of mine, Mary at Antique Row in Dallas. She had it in the shop, and I was ooohing and ahhhhing over the colour of it. I had NEVER seen lavender coral before! She put it in my hand and said "take it'. What a lovely gift!!! I see it every day...  I love bargains, but I love gifts even more, because they mean something. (all images: cashon & co)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...