Happy New Year ~ Chinese Style


Today, on Valentine's Day, we officially start the Chinese New Year, or as westerners refer to it sometimes, the Lunar New Year.  This year is the Year of the Tiger. Within China, and other countries with a big Chinese population, people start their traditions and customs to celebrate, and they vary widely.  Some spend lots of money on gifts, clothes, decoration and food. Families thoroughly clean their homes to rid it of bad fortune and make room for the good luck to come. On the Eve of Chinese New Year, a big feast is prepared, usually consisting of pigs, ducks and sweets. Firecrackers ensue, then in the morning the children are presented with a red envelope with coins in it. The New Year is a time for people to forgive and forget, and live together in peace.

Every Chinese New Year I visit two friends, who are Asian & Buddhist, and consider the New Year holiday an extremely important week. I give them a little goodie bag with coins in it, and I include a lottery ticket for good luck. I am going to see them this afternoon, in hopes that it brings us all good fortune, health and peace.






Every year has a different animal, and all my life I thought because of the year I was born in that I was a Boar (okay, jokes about that are allowed now. I'm a pig. I'm a bore....) BUT, I looked more closely into it, and it really isn't just the year you were born in, it's also the month and day. So I am actually a DOG! (more jokes allowed now.) If you want to see a chart to see what animal you are, go here. If you were born in January or February, instead go here. Each animal has different personalities, and apparently people born the year of the dog, possess the best traits in human nature (hey, I don't make this stuff up, so it must be true!) When you find out your animal - whether your'e a Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog or Pig, go here to read about your own traits. (I'm curious. If I'm allergic to dogs, am I allergic to myself? I digress...) 


So Here's to the year of the Tiger! If you were born in 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, or 2010, (1st check your day/month...don't get too excited yet...) then THIS IS YOUR YEAR! CHEERS!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...