Friend or Teacher? or Both?

look at those curly-q's on the "W. Va."....beautiful!

I have this old letter addressed to my great grandmother. It's hard to believe that 129 years later, a great granddaughter that she didn't know would be posting this on technology that would have never seemed imaginable. I wanted to share it with you, if only because of the beautiful visual aspect, but also the sweet words from a teacher to her 10 year old student.


Nov. 6, 1881


Dear Lizzie,


Yours of the [inst.} received and perused with genius ne gladness.  I deeply sympathize with you and Willie in your illness.  Lizzie, I sincerely hope that you may speedily recover, and assume your places in your classes once more, and both gain the honor of being the best in your classes. I, too Lizzie was exceedingly sorry that I did not have time to visit Miss W. Clair's room, and listen attentively and closely to the lessons properly rehearsed by my dear friend Lizzie. Will you always, my dear little friend, do, as you say you are doing now, be a good true girl at home and at school. Gen. 2-:12 and Matt. 22:37, Heb. 6:7,8, Rev. 21:7. No, Lizzie, I did not get a school at Cameron, I could have began with seven pupils, but would not stay for that number; I came to Fairmont and will open my school, God willing tomorrow night with about twenty pupils, there is a normal school located here. I have found several persons who are acquainted with Miss McClasker.  Lizzie, it is near Ten O'Clock my bed time, so according to my programme I will be compeled to close.  Give my kind regards to your father, Mother, Richard, Ella, Tommie, Willie, Maggie and all my friends.


I remain,
Your true friend,


W. M. Cunningham
Thess. 5:28


You must click on this to enlarge, and view the gorgeous handwriting. It's interesting - I figured out by reading it that when they would write two "s" together , like on the envelope for "Miss", they would make the first "s" an "f", like in "Mifs"..... It looks like it was all written with a metal-tipped pen dipped in ink - I wonder how long it took her to write it? I love the last line, because she mentions all my great-great aunts & uncles. ♥
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...