Fila Vs. Librandi

Or, rather, High Vs. Low...


Emil Fila is a cubist painter, who set a new world record for his art at auction. In 1925 Fila painted the above painting Still life with a Lemon, Bottle of Olive Oil, Bell Peppers and a Bowl of Vegetables (gee, I wonder how he came up with that name?). It entered the Bonhams & Butterfields Auction in Los Angeles, with a pre-auction estimate of $15,000 - $20,000. It sold for $266,000. !!! That's over a quarter of a million dollars!

Well, when I read this, and then saw the photograph I kinda smiled. It reminded me so much of a circa 1950's painting I bought on Ebay for under $100, also a cubism, signed by a P. Librandi. Okay, to the trained eye I am sure there is no comparison to mine and Fila's. BUT, I have to say, I like it and when I see them side by side, I wouldn't be able to tell which one is worth less than an i-pod, and which one can buy a house...and then some.

Viva la bargains!
If you liked this post and want to read another like it, go here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...