Can't Beat These Beets



Ok, beets get a bad rap. They are like Brussel sprouts. You either love them or hate them. Well, I challenge you beet haters to try this recipe. We recently served these at a lunch, and almost everyone (I say almost because I think the only person who didn't like them was my husband, but he won't eat beets) LOVED them. Not only are they beautiful to serve, they are tart and delicious and filled with yummy goat cheese. We lined them up in a glass bottomed tray, and put them on a buffet table. I think this would be a great side dish to a special meal, any time of the year.


RECIPE:

Buy Red and Yellow Beets. Make sure they are firm and fresh and still have their green tops on.  Wash them and trim off the ends before cooking. Place trimmed beets in a shallow roasting pan and add a little water for steam. Roast the beets at 425 degrees F for 30-45 minutes (cover the pan with foil) or until the beets are easily pierced with a fork. Slip off the skins under running water, (or you can use a paper towel to help slip them off when cool) then slice, evenly. Use a 1 1/2 inch biscuit cutter to cut your beets into symmetrical rounds. Then cut sliced goat cheese into the same sized shape. Once you have these sliced, start stacking them inside a PVC pipe.


I bought my pipe pieces at the hardware store, and I use them for all sorts of food that requires stacking. Once you pile them inside here, slowly lift off the pipe and then you have a beautiful beet stack. Actually, you don't even have to stack them in a pipe, you can just stack the cut-out pieces on top of each other very carefully. Try them, they're delicious. I dare you not to love it.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...