Where are You Going?

I always imagine that if we could go back in time, I'd be on the Orient Express with Hercule Poirot. I'd be wearing the best 1930's high-fashion clothes, touring on a train to an exotic vacation around the world. Of course, when you see movies such as this, part of the glamour is in the way they traveled: With big steamer trunks, that housed outfits on hangers, and carried their crystal decanters and sterling silverware and goblets. And to a point, some people actually traveled like this. Partly out of luxury, but also necessity as there was not disposable ...everything... back then.

The closest to traveling with a trunk I ever came is when I left for summer camp for 4 weeks when I was 11 years old. I had a big black aluminum (maybe even "fake aluminum" if there is such a thing!) trunk to which I used my paint pens to make dot letters of my name on the top. I have no idea where it is now.

The great thing about steamer trunks, although we may not use them to travel with, we can recycle them and use them as wonderful tables and stools and storage in our homes.

Well, a campers trunk with dot letters may not make the most glamorous of coffee tables.

Arnica (paisley pattern) by Etro, limited number made

Early 1900's Louis Vuitton Steamer

English Polished Steel steamer liner trunk, c. 1940's

Moroccan Trunk, 20th C

Louis Vuitton "Malle Bureau" desk trunk, c. 1916

 Zebra skin covered trunk from England. 20th C.

Chinese red leather trunk, c. 1800's.
I personally have 2 Chinese trunks. They make great cocktail tables for small spaces.

Goyard Steamer Trunk from France, c. 1930's.

Upholstered trunk in vintage paisley fabric, hand-made in England.

African Skin Trunk, c. 1920

Hampstead Trunk in grain sack-parchment, hand-made in England.

Pair of 1960's Italian trunk end tables

Linen with Nickel accents from William Sonoma Home

1990's Folk Art Trunk by Richard Kopp

Detail of Trunk, made out of bottle caps

I have never been bored an hour in my life. I get up every morning wondering what new strange glamorous thing is going to happen and it happens at fairly regular intervals. 
William Allen White
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...