Black is Back

I think I'm giving the color black a second chance. I almost banned it for an entire decade because it seems like it was all I wore in the mid-nineties. My wardrobe almost has no black now, and I have caught myself this season falling in like with this moody hue again. My next step is to bring it into my interior, not just my wardrobe.
Louise Nevelson (American, 1900-1988)
 End of Day VI, 1972 Wood Assemblage

Louise Nevelson gets TOP SPOT. She is an artist that I think is largely overlooked, partly because her work is so unusual and not "commercial" to everyone's tastes, and also because she did not over-produce. I first heard of Nevelson when I was in art class in the mid-eighties. My art teacher opened up my eyes to her as well as some other prolific artists of our time. I remember the day she passed away in 1988. My art teacher (and mentor) was visibly upset. That made me realize the impact her art had on people. Whenever I run across an image of an interior in a magazine and see one of her sculptural pieces in their space, I know that the homeowner is a smart, sophisticated collector .... and someone I'd like to ask "Why do you like her art? What does this say to you?" To me, it speaks of orderliness, compartmentalization, texture, and depth. I want to walk up and touch it. It's simple yet totally busy at the same time.

RM by Roland Mouret, Spring 2010 Ready to Wear

If there's anyone who can make a dress fit perfectly, look fierce, and yet retain it's femineity, it's Mouret.  I remember the first time I saw a dress by Roland Mouret, it was the Galaxy Dress in 2005. It looked like he took all the best aspects of the 1940's and updated it into a sleek, urban sheath. I have been a fan since.

Lanvin, Spring 2010 Ready to Wear

Lanvin crystal necklace, available at Net-A-Porter



Above three photographs:
 Design by Thomas Britt, courtesy of New York Social Diary

Isn't this room just amazing???? The walls and floor are both painted black, which makes the blue silk upholstered furniture really pop. I love how Britt uses lots of mirror in the room: on the walls, behind the mantel....This space just speaks of luxury. It's dramatic and I could move in tomorrow!


Charlotte Olympia,"Ziggy" leather ankle boot available at Net-A-Porter

So many details in just a boot... The tassel on the zipper in the back, the shiny ribbed heel, the gold-brushed platform, the gold spider logo on the bottom, two-tone leather and suede on the boot....Yet it looks so clean! This is great design.


What I like about this boot, and I think it may be from last season, is the way it looks like an updated Victorian shoe. The wood looks so incredibly smooth, and the way they used 3 different types of black leather gives it texture. And of course the gold toe and layered platform! I can see this with a full skirt and tights.

Nina Ricci sunglasses

The square shape of these black glasses are so timelessly classic. Every designer seems to have at least one pair in this shape every season in their line, and no wonder. It won't go out of style.
Bodhi clutch, available at here.

Claudia Schiffer wearing Dolce & Gabbana in Cannes, 2009

This picture is so sweet. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just perfectly perfect.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...