Amazing Angles

Yes, I like things that are predictable in it's shape, orderly in fashion, and clean in it's lines. I prefer a formal garden to a country garden. I like a sharp suit opposed to a poet's blouse. I guess I'm a geometry gal. Well, most of the time. Even though I'm a Capricorn by birth, I think somehow I'm a Gemini at heart. I like opposites almost equally. Almost...

1970's chrome lucite California designed Edison lamp.
From: Fat Chance L.A./1st Dibs

Model Karen Elson in Vogue.

I love these doors. Look how tall this room is!  (You know she's probably 6'3 in her heels....)It must be at least 18 feet tall? And the way her gown is so fluid, it's softness really contrasts with the hard edges and geometric pattern in this wooden set of doors. It's so Joan at Sterling Cooper's.....

Philliop Gorrivan for Duralee in Marine

I think this was perhaps one of the most recent genius lines in fabrics.... in a long, long time. I have used almost every pattern in every colorway...


This is an "X-Bench" I bought on E-bay and had recovered. It sits on a vintage 1920's Persian Rug that I found rolled up and dirty, in the corner of an Antique Mall. A good cleaning (or 3-4 because of a naughty dog) and it's MAGNIFICENT....

Phillip Gorrivan for Duralee in Marine

Phillip Gorrivan for Duralee in Marine.


This is a Russian Constructivist etching print that I bought, signed in the 1920's. I have a few pieces from this genre. I like the crisp harshness of this piece. It's almost figurative, but industrial at the same time.



These top two photographs are from Matthew Williamson's Spring 2010 Ready to Wear Runway Show. Usually when I think of Spring I think of flowing flowery chiffons, etc...I like how this is the antithesis of that! So sophisticated yet still subtle and subdued.


Great looking earrings, right? Wrong! These Hollywood Regency stunners are actually 1980-1990's curtain tiebacks. From: Paris Hotel Boutique


As you already may have figured out, the Moravian star pendant is one of my favourite lighting fixtures to use. And when it's used three times in a row, I go CRAZY! I love this. Notice how the geometric painting on the ceiling is put against a victorian damask wallpaper in this space. And the pendants just really tie the mix together. Leave it to Chris Pearson, the decorative painter who did this striking ceiling.

Tiffany & Co. 1970's gold earrings.
From: Robin Katz Vintage Jewels/1st Dibs


I designed and had this ring made about 8 years ago. Since I used to be a metal-smithing student and know how to carve my own wax molds as well as solder, I really like to design my own jewelry. Because I don't have the equipment anymore to make it myself, I will have it made when I can. This ring is pretty big and fun to wear. I started my sketch with a free-form shape then made a very linear cross inside. I had the gold hand hammered and the off-set cross set in diamonds. Contrast in shape, texture, colors... 

Actually, designing your jewelry yourself sounds so haute-couture, but in reality, it can be less expensive than paying the typical mark-up in a jewelry store if you are judicious about buying your metals and stones. If you want, start with brass or silver. And why not take your own adult-education class? In most cities there are art classes/ jewelry making classes offered at your local art guild and you can learn how to cut silver/gold and cast the metals and solder yourself. It's really not that hard, and it's fun to use your creative side of your brain again. There's more to home jewelry making than just beading....


You know what I like most about his entry? Look how they mirrored the back wall by the front door! I never thought mirrored walls went out of fashion and still don't think so. They are great and open up spaces and provide light and sparkle. What a great idea here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...