Thanksgiving Inspirations


Vintage post card from 1910.

Photograph: Red~Star/flickr

Photograph: William Dalton/flickr

Photograph: Moss Floral/flickr
This floral company designed this great turkey centerpiece for a client's party. The client had read an article about this kind of display in the newspaper and had requested the same thing. The company, Moss Floral,  made the requested turkey, using only fresh ingredients, mostly produce: apples, cranberries, corn, rosemary, wheat, and of course, a pumpkin. For another great centerpiece idea using pumpkins, visit an earlier post I did here.

Cookies from Eleni's
These cookies would be a great hostess gift if you are going to someone else's home for Thanksgiving dinner. Or maybe make some fresh baked bread....pumpkin or banana nut?  If you don't cook, do what my good friend Deanna did for me last year. At a party I was hosting, she brought me the BEST hostess gift. A cinnamon-crumble coffee cake and bag of coffee from our local Corner Bakery. I think that is the BEST idea, and our whole family enjoyed it the next morning!

Photograph: From Dallas (pool)/flickr

Cornucopia of raffia with wheat, squashes, apples and pears. From Martha Stewart

Pomegranate and feather swag available at Pottery Barn


Winterberry and Woodlands dishes at Neiman Marcus


Fun candles designed like Pilgrims and Native Americans from Wisteria. I think these would be genius at the kid's table! Don't you?



Above three photographs: romeo'smom/flickr
These photographs crack me up. This dog above truly looks like a proud pilgrim! So stoic!


Above two photographs: Chanel, Fall 2009 Ready to Wear

Anna Sui, Fall 2009 Ready to Wear

Isabel Marant, Fall 2008 Ready to Wear


BUT AT HOME...

I am getting out my Victorian  English Transfer-ware Turkey platter, and will serve something on it, most likely the turkey slices. I have two silver-plate deep footed trays that I can pop different platters in. It looks prettier this way, but it also allows you to carry it to the table. I found this platter at a (very dusty) Antique Warehouse about 6 years ago. I think it was about $40, and I thought it was a good deal...


Last year my mother gave me a set of 10 Copeland's Spode English plates. I thought I would use them for the first time this year. Actually she gave me 9, and I had to search the internet to find a 10th in the exact same pattern, which wasn't so easy, as they usually differ a little in color and trim colors. But I did! My set has different animals on each plate, including Wild Geese No. 10, Woodcock No. 9, Plover No. 7, Partridge No. 5, Californian Quail No. 3, Mallard No. 30, and Wild Duck No. 8.


I just started laying things out on the table, deciding what to use and what needs cleaning/polishing.  I like to set the table a few days ahead and make lists of what I need, and what goes where. I figured out that I am missing 4 place-mats and butter plates that will go with this, so I am glad I decided to plan ahead! I don't know quite yet what I will put in the middle. Something low? Maybe potted cyclamen and white pumpkins?

For a yummy cranberry dressing recipe, read my earlier post here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...