Swan Song Defined

Swan Song: The phrase Swan Song is a reference to the ancient belief that the Mute Swan is mute it's entire lifetime, just until the moment before it dies when it sings one lovely song. Did you know the history behind that? I did not. When in fact, the Mute Swan is not actually mute. It makes all sorts of shrill noises, grunts, honking and hisses. And they do not sing a song before they die. The term swan song eventually became known as a final theatrical appearance. The phrase Swan Song now has the connotation that the performer is aware that this is their last performance, perhaps the last of their lifetime, and they need to give an awe-inspiring last effort.

Swans are actually the largest of the duck family, and are among the largest of all flying birds. The most common of the swan family are the Mute Swan, Trumpeter Swan, and Whooper swan. Swans in the Northern Hemisphere are pure white, but in the Southern Hemisphere, they are a mix of black and white. In fact, Australia is home to the Australian Swan which is completely black. So the next time you see a swan, you can act like an expert and say "oh that swan must be from the Northern Hemisphere." You'll be sure to impress everyone around you, or everyone at the zoo at least.

Swans have always had the reputation for being an elegant animal, and I know that when I see them floating in our local park's pond, I do get excited; like a child. They seem peaceful and proud. Maybe that is why sometimes they are referenced in design. I thought it was interesting to see how many times they are presented, especially in Ballets, which makes sense if they exude gracefulness and given the meaning of the term Swan Song.

Louis Vuitton, November 2009

I just received this Louis Vuitton brochure in the mail this week. I like how this photograph looks moody and like a fairy tale.



Above three photographs: Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel

Karl Lagerfeld designed the first ever Chanel ballet costume, for ballerina Elena Glurdjidze, for her performance of The Dying Swan. Wow! Look at the feathers on it. I have always liked the tutu skirts. (Just look at the picture of me on the side-bar) Lagerfeld managed to make this costume look beautiful, even though he does not like the animal at all. He says: "Swans, they are the meanest animals in the world, you know. I had problems with them as a child. They hate children. I was caught by one, so I know. The idea of a swan is lovely, and they have a beautiful shape, but they seem more romantic than they in fact are. I don't think really they die like this. They just drop dead, hmm? But who wants to see that?" [Gaurdian UK] I like to imagine him saying this in his German accent. The last phrase sounds so much better with his accent.


I can totally relate to Lagerfeld's memory. I remember one summer we were visiting family in Germany. Where my family is from is in the Black Forest region, in a teeny-tiny town. My mom, my brother, my tantes and I were at the top of a mountain (which was actually probably a hill, but when your'e 8 it seemed like a mountain when you walk to the top). There was a biergarten at the top. What I remember most about that whole day is that there was this turkey walking around. I don't know if my 6 year old brother was taunting it, but it chased my brother around nipping at his hind-side for a long time. My brother was wailing and running, I was laughing, which made him cry harder. Ahhhh, good memories. Yes Mr. Lagerfeld, I can understand your run-in with the mean swan.

British Vogue, March 2009

British Vogue, photograph by: Tim Walker

Bjork at the 2001 Oscars. Gown by: Marjan Pejoski

Who doesn't remember this dress? Wacky? Yes. Unconventional? Yes. Do I love that she wore it? YES! The Oscars have become sort of boring. Everyone plays it so safe now!

English blister pearl and old-cut diamond Mute Swan brooch, circa 1890
From: Hancocks on 1st Dibs
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...