Grand Closets

The key in making any closet look great are three things, via trial and error and expert advice from professionals such as Nancy Klompus in Dallas:

1: Sort by color. I have all my shirts lined up in groups: Whites, pinks, blues, greens, blacks, etc. It sounds very anal retentive but this is one of those places where being compulsive about being orderly is a life-saver.

2. Hang everything on the same hanger. It's amazing how once you switch out your hangers and use the same color and style, it makes the biggest difference. I ordered all black plastic hangers for my shirts and skirts from Modern Store Fixtures, and then bought my pants hangers here from Container Store. Once you do this, you won't believe you didn't do it sooner.

3: Make good use of your space. If you have lots of rods for long dresses, but don't have lots of long items, put in a lower rod and use that empty space. Go get containers for knick knacks, use drawer dividers, and shelf dividers. If you catch the bug, you might even find yourself ordering a folding board so all your sweaters and t-shirts are folded the exact same size, like in the stores. And (unlike me) put everything away. I tend to be a piler and then the piles overwhelm me!


Design: Robert Couturier
Photograph: Pieter Estersohn for Southern Accents Magazine
What's not to love about this closet? I think what does it for me is the large chaise lounge (with drawers built in -  now that's space saving) and the punch from the graphic carpet. Flawless.


Samlad Charm via Skona Hem
I like how she uses all the empty space above the door to display personal photographs. The dress form at the end of the closet obviously adds some style to the space, but could be useful when planning out outfits.


Designer: Windsor Smith
Photographer: Victoria Pearson for House Beautiful September 2009


Designer: Sara Story
Photographer: William Waldron for Elle Decor May 2009


Image via Skona Hem


Todd Roman in his Manhattan Closet, via New York Social Diary
The orderliness of this closet is so comforting to me, that it almost worries me how much so!



The closet of Miles Redd, photographed by Thomas Loof
Leave it to Redd, to make what is an ordinary shelving system with basic grey suits look chic...why not paint your closet a bright color? This looks great.


The closet of Steven Gambrel


Confessions of a Shopaholic
The antithesis of an orderly closet!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...