German Luncheon

This year, my mother and I decided to host a traditional German luncheon. As I stated before in my previous post about German Christmases, my memories revolve around baking. And this year was no different. My mother worked very hard to bake everything herself, and I helped by contributing some decorations to the buffet table. I thought it would be fun to place my advent calender on the dessert table.

click on any image to enlarge

I made this advent calender 2 years ago, for my Garden Club Christmas project. I started out by taking plywood, and used a jig-saw to cut out the shape. I had to use two pieces of plywood, so I could cut out the windows and doors and lay on top of the other piece. I made sure I had a picture taken of me because I know no one would believe I know how to use a saw. (And my college wood-shop professor would be proud, as I have my hair pulled back and am wearing the fashionable, pre-requisite protective eye-wear!)




I made little windows, doors, and two front doors using hinges, and finishing nails for the knobs. I painted the inside of the windows and doors with tiny scenes, so when the chocolate goody is gone for that day, you can see what little event is happening inside.

click on any image to enlarge

I used iridescent glitter on some of the painted snow for some sparkle.




Inside the compartments, I placed german chocolate teddy bears, Santa's, and gold coins. I always place two in them, so each of my children get one.





Schwarzwaeldertorte (Black Forest Cake)
Vanillebeansringerle (Vanilla Bean Cookies)
Schokoladentorte mit Ganache (Chocolate Cake with Ganache)

We placed all the desserts around it, and put cards by each one describing what it was, since they were written all in German.

Italienische Sahne Torte (Italian Creme Cake)
Pfeffernusse (spiced cookie using "peppernuts")
Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel)
Grace's Anisespringerle (Anise cookies)
Katarina von Oesterreich himbeeretorte mit sauere Sahne (Raspberry cake)
Frau Meng's Ungarishes Hazelnuss Gabaeck (Hungarian hazelnut cookies)
Sauvaroffs mit Himbeer (Suvaroffs sandwiched with raspberry sauce)
Vanillekipferl (Pecan vanilla crescents) Vanille Plӓtzchen 

The Suvaroffs mit Himbeer and the Vanillekipferl



My cousin Barbara made these incredibly beautiful Anisespringerle  and mailed them to us. Aren't they works of art? The anise flavor is very unique. It tastes and smells like licorice. I think these are the prettiest cookies I have ever seen.

Katarina von Oesterreich himbeeretorte mit sauerkreme 

Pfeffernusse
My boys ate an entire bag of these in one sitting. Go here to see many varieties of this recipe.

Suvaroffs mit Himbeer

Vanillekipferl

Ungarishes Hazelnuss Gabaeck

Vanillebeanspringerle



This the arrangement we had on the dining table, where we put the food. We brought the urn to the local florist and told them that we wanted white, red and green. They charge too much for the Fir branches, so we went to the tree-nursery and collected fallen pieces from the floor and brought it to the florist ourselves. The big sugar pine-cones in this arrangement were from a friend that brought them back from Tahoe.


We set out some English Christmas Tree dishes, and put the napkins and silverware together in a basket.


Some of the dishes we served were a Pork Tenderloin with Lingonberry sauce (which we laid atop of bibb lettuce on a tray) and rolled slices of smoked salmon (rolled in crepes. You can purchase pre-made crepes), cream cheese and capers. We put the typical condiments to smoked salmon on the side.



Me, hesitantly posing in my dirndl dress.
all photographs: cashonandcompany.blogspot.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...