Simple


A gathered arrangement photographed by my mom outside her sister's house in Germany

Proof that simple things can be lovely. I am trying to keep that in mind this year. I have always, always gone over the top in my Christmas decorations. I love ornaments - they are sentimental to me;  I remember where each one is from and from whom (My dad has been giving me an ornament each year since I can remember). But this year, for the first time, I didn't get down one box. I decided to go buy a small tree at Lowe's, and my sons and I decorated it with red ribbon and real candy-canes. It was quick, fun, and I am enjoying the beauty of it's simplicity.










Written by my grandmother, during WWII, who was "den mother" to her son's Cub Pack

Twas the night before Xmas
And Santa's workshop
Was humming with action
That didn't dare stop

Till all Santa's helpers
Had finished the toys
That Santa would take
To good girls and boys

Old Santa was anxious
To be on his way
For he knew that his travels
Would last until day

He had read all the letters
Had everything fixed
He knew that he must not
Get anything mixed

At last it was over
A years work was done
The elf men helped Santa
Load packs full of fun

Tho Santa is magic - a
generous giver
There are some things this year
He cannot deliver

Don't ask for prime ribs
to go in your roasters
Or think in your stockings
you'll find pop-up toasters.

There'll be no new Nylons
for anyone yet
Nor a new set of tires are
we likely to get.

But let us be happy
and cheerful and gay
We can celebrate Christmas
The American way.

(circa 1940)
all photographs: cashonandcompany.blogspot.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...