Oh How I LOVE the CITY

If you were to use the Green Acres song as a reference, I'll say that the stanza that sums me up is: 

New York is where I'd rather stay. 
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

california & franklin/protagestudio.com

...The Chores.
...THE STORES!
...Fresh Air.
...TIMES SQUARE!

YUP! I'm a city girl. Not NYC bred, but none-the-less, a big city- born & raised girl.  Even though, when it comes to art, I collect mostly landscapes and seascapes. I personally don't have one piece of art that represents "the city" at all! We are so used to seeing cityscapes that are done in a more traditional style, such as the over-abundance of "French Street Scenes" that have hit the reproduction market. But what I thought was interesting was to see a modern version of a cityscape - not something we see everyday. These here, at least to me, tend to evoke different feelings of the city. 
The one above looks like a typical wet day, in rush hour, and I can almost hear all the noise, but for some reason it doesn't seem "frantic" to me. The one below seems like a quiet, almost "still" scene of the city. No movement, no cars, no people, just a hazy afternoon with homogenous buildings. I'm so used to buying/looking at landscapes, that this genre is proving to be a welcome reprieve for me. What do you think? Seen enough of the city that you don't need it on your walls either? Or do you miss it and want to see more?

Union  Square, Midday/2005/diana horowitz.com

South View from 7 World Trade 2009/diana horowitz.com

Grain Silo & Still Water/2002/Diana Horowitz

Pileup/protagestudio.com

Night-Scape 2005/Linda Rennie/rennieart.com

Cityscape by Linda Rennie (rennieart.com)

Ship Coming In 2003/Dion Archibald.com

Dion Archibald.com
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...