Morning Routine

I love my 1-2 hour morning solitude I get once everyone's off to work and school. I immediately go and brew a large pot of coffee. I pour myself a cup, and sit down at my computer to check my email and read my news (although I don't know why I torture myself with news, it just gets me all depressed, as they seem to only report bad things. Why are there no more happy stories? Someone needs to start a website with ONLY happy news/stories...)



(above: The lovely vase on the acrylic base was a gift, that someone brought back to me all the way from Vietnam. I try and keep some Rose clippings from my yard in it (I think these are Knock-Out Roses).
Not long after reading my email, I  put two pieces of bread the toaster oven.  I could not live without our DeLonghi Convection toaster oven.



 

This is my favorite bread, that I eat almost every day. It is called Hippie Health Loaf, and it is from a local baking company. This baking company only uses the best ingredients including all local pecans and King Arthur Flour, AND they bake their loaves every morning. And what I love about this bread, is that has almost every kind of seed/nut in it that you can imagine. It is so dense - it feels like each piece weighs 5 pounds. (At night for a snack I'll put some sliced sharp cheddar cheese and apple slices on a piece and it is HEAVEN.) I'm sure it's not low-cal or low-fat, but oh well....



But what's toast without delicious preserves? I love the Bonne Maman Preserves, especially their Strawberry and Apricot Preserves, but I also like my mom's homemade strawberry preserves and also BAMA jellies. And about this time is when I usually get my phone call from my dear friend D'Ann. I don't know what my mornings would be like if it didn't include a conversation with her! I love my morning routines. (They say kids act best under a consistent routine, but I think that goes for adults too.)



On a whim, about 2 months ago, I decided to make the counter next to my kitchen my breakfast bar. Excited to clean up my kitchen counters , I moved the toaster oven and coffee maker in here, and set up a tray for all my breakfast needs. I pulled out my silver, pieces I inherited, received as presents or bought at estate sales, and made the decision to use them every single day. My other favourite breakfast is oatmeal with brown sugar, pecans, dried cherries and raisins. (Have you tried the oatmeal from Starbucks? Goodness, it's fantastic!!! ) I put the oatmeal in a glass canister, and made the fruit and nut mix and put it in the cut-crystal canister next to it. The regular sugar and brown sugar are in a crystal & silver jelly/jam caddy, so I have everything here at reach. It has become a fun addition to my morning routine, which I look forward to each day. When you eat from nice dishes and see ordinary food in pretty crystal and glass, it makes your meal feel a tad bit more special. Now, on to my 3rd cup of coffee...... (all images: cashonandcompany.blogspot.com)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...