Bring Back the Beret


Kate Moss

Last night, on TMC, I watched the 1939 movie Ninotchka. Written by Billy Wilder, it features Greta Garbo as a Russian woman sent to Paris, and of course, romance & comedy ensue. Garbo, who actually has a good Russian accent, looks so chic in her black beret.



I have always loved the look of a beret, on a man and a woman, thinking they both look equally chic. Although we typically associate a beret to a French artist (with a striped shirt and scarf tied around the neck, no?) the soft wool cap gets its beginnings in the Northern part of Spain, where it is a traditional hat to the Basque people. (To read an interesting blog, about berets and the Basque, go here)


Faye Dunaway & Warren Beatty in Bonnie & Clyde, 1967
Although chic women (think Faye Dunaway in Bonnie & Clyde) and runway models still wear it,

Emporio Armani, Fall 2009 Ready to Wear
it is most commonly worn by military and paramilitary around the world, including the countries of Hong Kong, Iceland, Italy, Malaysia, Portugal, South Africa, South Korea, the United Kingdom, and of course Spain.

The Carlist General Tomás de Zumalacárregui of Spain in his red beret

About 16-17 years ago, I wore a beret all year. I thought I was so cute! I didn't know this until about 10 years ago, but several of my male friends nicknamed me Pepé behind my back because of that beret. It obviously didn't scar me too much, because I bought a new one 2 years ago and wore it several times last fall. I saw it in a Ralph Lauren spread, and thought it was so glamorous. So I cut my hair like Faye Dunaway's in Bonnie & Clyde and wore my beret! Pepé is back!


Bonnie Parker & Clyde Barrow in 1933


Faye Dunaway in 1967 and Hillary Duff recreating her role as Bonnie Parker


Charlize Theron from the movie "Head in the Clouds" 2004


Actress Diane Kruger


Leila Hyams courtesy of olldhollwoodislove.blogspot


Photo: Ram Shergill


Emporio Armani Fall 2009 Ready to Wear


Ralph Lauren Spring 2010 Ready to Wear


Pablo Picasso and his painting Femme au Beret Rouge (Girl with the Red Beret)


Berets, from Top to Bottom:
Miu Miu angora blend beret; Missoni oversized knit beret; Sonia by Sonia Rykiel wool beret. All available at Net-a-Porter.


If you are a beret lover, and care to read more about them, visit blogger Daan Kolthoff 's site The Beret Project.  It's very informative and interesting. Daan, who hails from New Zealand, writes, reads, and researches everything beret.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...