A Hotel That Makes Me Happy

I think everyone would agree, that when a person walks into the entrance of a stunning hotel lobby, and your brain takes in the sparkling, luxurious beauty, that this is THE moment your vacation starts. There are a few hotels, of which I remember vividly the details from my childhood visits. Some of these have made a lasting impact on me. One of them was The Fairmount in San Antonio. I don't remember how old I was, a young teenager maybe, and I couldn't believe the big white fluffy robe in my room....and you could actually purchase it! My dad surprised me and let me buy it and I used it for years. But what I remember most about that room, is the half moon wall sconces that lit that space.  They seemed to make the whole area glow a warm, rosy- peach color.

Another Hotel that has made a lasting impact on me, is the Mansion on Turtle Creek, Dallas. Though I have never stayed here, this is the hotel that you would go to for special occasions.  We had my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary there almost 27 years ago, and that was my first real elegant event. My mom took me to buy my first real party dress  (a grey heavy cotton dress with an elastic waist, lace collar,  full skirt and sleeves, with a white satin bow belt).

The Mansion on Turtle Creek, exterior
photo: expedia

This is the entrance to the restaurant
photo: expedia

I have a photograph of my son and his friend standing under this awning, in their little ties and sweater vests, after finishing a grueling long day at Manners Camp. Suffice it to say, they chose not to be the model students of manners that day. I don't know what I was thinking - that my 6 year old son could sit for 3 hours and learn about "the proper way to consume consomme".....! We learn, don't we. I mean, we, the mom's.

photo: expedia

What I remember most from the Mansion over the last 25 years is the color of the walls. They were a warm downy pink, a peach that radiated warmth and sophistication.  I remember the windows being leaded, the floor a black and white checker, and all the bathrooms were coral colored marble from top to bottom.

Interior, lobby to the restaurant on left,  and bar to the right
photo: Don Riddle

In this foyer, they used to always have a center hall table with incredibly glorious flowers on it.  This is a new lantern, and the furniture, art and accessories are new as well. But the staircase and floor are original of course!

The Dining Room, after the recent redocorating
photo: expedia

photo: Don Riddle

This is the biggest change. Unless I'm  mistaken, this used to be the bar? Of which the walls were once covered in green tartan plaid fabric. There were vintage styled paintings of horses in gold frames under gold picture lights. The wood was dark and polished with lots of brass accents. It used to be like a preppy Polo Lounge that you might see on a yacht, if that's possible! I like the warmth of their updated design. It is not stuck to a specific trend or era, and that I like.

Lobby to the Hotel
photo: expedia

The Mansion was originally built in 1923-1925, for Cotton Mogul Sheppard W. King. King and his wife Bertha Wilcox bought the land in 1908, and then travelled to Europe to pick out luxury materials such as fireplaces, marbles and 19th Century Spanish doors. The dining room was designed by French architect M. Jacques Carree.  In 1935, The King family went broke and sold the Mansion, which changed hands many times and was even once an office for an oil company in the 1940's.  After Carolyn Rose Hunt purchased it in 1979 and renovated it into the hotel it is today, The Mansion on Turtle Creek becomes Texas' only 5 star, 5 diamond hotel. The Restaurant had renowned chef Dean Fearing until just a few years ago, when he opened his eponymous restaurant at the Ritz in Dallas. When Fearing left, John Tesar served as head chef for two years until just this week when it was announced that Chef Bruno Davaillon, from Alain Ducasse's Mix at the Hotel at Madalay Bay in Las Vegas, will replace Tesar.

Exterior Back Patio
photo: Don Riddle

Although The Mansion just had a makeover, and is now a little more au courant, she's still just as perfect and lovely as she was before. Well, now she's just a bit more perfect.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...