High & Low

Rene Magritte (1898-1967)
Georgette at the Piano, 1923

Magritte painted many paintings of  wife Georgette, who was also his muse. Magritte's paintings from 1918-1924 were heavily influenced by futurism and by the derivative of cubism practiced by his contemporary Jean Metzinger.



My unsigned 1950's cubist painting that I just bought for $80. This is now one of my favorite pieces of art I own. Good art doesn't have to cost a fortune. Flawless colors, composition, and execution will stand the test of time and it can be produced by amateurs as well as masters. Cubism to me is like looking for shapes in a cloudy sky. In this one I think I see a guitar, a wineglass, a vase, and batman. Don't you see it? On the right side, his bat mask and mouth? 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...