Beautiful Bentos

I love Japanese food. I eat sushi all the time, and I get so excited when it comes to my table. The pieces look like little presents all wrapped up so beautifully. I remember the first time I had a bento box (a "bento" is literally a Japanese-style packed lunch, usually served in a lacquered wooden box). It was at Anzu's, a great local restaurant which is sadly no longer around.  The way lunch was presented in the container's tiny compartments was so exciting and appealing to me that I became hooked right away. The following bento's were made by two moms who actually make these charming "boxed" meals for their own families. Using traditional Japanese foods such as rice, vegetables, seaweed, fish ... they make these meals look like works of art! Some photos show how they even use conventional foods such as pasta, chicken nuggets, and fruit -- Maybe if I made spreads like these my children would eat their broccoli?

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: laura bento/flickr

photo: laura bento/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: laura bento/flickr
Can you tell she made this one to look like an X-Box remote, for her husband?

photo: laura bento/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr

photo: lucky sundae/flickr
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...