Pick Your Costume

So excited for Halloween this month! As a costume connoisseur, I pay great attention to the details in  what I will be wearing on Halloween night. It all started with the simple "princess" costume, circa 1975, from the "five and dime" - with the plastic mask and plastic shirt that you tie on over your clothes. Then one year as a kid I remember going home and changing costumes 4 times and hitting the same houses over and over - thinking that they never caught on. As an adult, I was Princess Leia one year, Flo from Mel's Diner (it was greatness), and ... I was even the back end of one of those 2 person Horse costumes. I remember walking down the sidewalk in that big clumsy thing and all I could see was my friend's backside in front of me and the ground below. Yes, and I was an adult.....Fun Memories.

So now, that I'm all mature and everything, I will of course be getting my costume inspirations from sophisticated sources - such as the Haute Couture runway. Hmmmm....let's go shopping.....

Jean Paul Gaultier Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Ok, let's start from the tamest looks and move forward to the more outrageous. What? I declared this as tame?! "Wow!" you must be thinking! When the day a Jean Paul Gaultier design can be called "tame" something's happening in the world. (Actually there is a feeling that is quite beautiful and Deco in this look)....But, we are shopping the runway for Halloween looks.

John Galliano, Fall 2007

Moschino Cheap & Chic Spring 2010 RTW

I'm surprised that Moschino wants to bring back the Bjork look from earlier Academy Awards. But this look is kind of sweet. Don't know if I'd wear it seriously, but I can appreciate the femininity in it.

Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2010 RTW & Menswear
Photograph: NY Magazine

Let's not forget our gentlemen! This would be a safe halloween costume for your man. The one below, well, it might provoke a few fights at the party. Definitely think he would be called names in this. Crikeys.

Thom Browne Spring 2010 RTW & Menswear
Photograph: NY Magazine

Christian Lacroix Fall 2009 Couture
Photograph: NY Magazine

I actually think this is quite beautiful. I can imagine the silk and the lace is exquisite to the touch. She looks like a statue or painting that you might find in an old cathedral in eastern Europe or Mexico. This would take a courageous bride to wear this gown down the aisle. Dita Von Teese actually wore it this month for a photo shoot for Harpers Bazaar Russia.


Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

And this would take an even BRAVER bride.....These shoes are a runway spill waiting to happen.

Alexander McQueen Fall 2007

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

This man scares me. If I saw him walking toward me, my legs would run faster than Fred Flinstone's feet trying to start a car.

Gareth Pugh, Paris Spring 2010
Photograph: NY Magazine

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Although these looks are obviously over the top, and intended to be that way, McQueen's clothes are very wearable. I have a few pieces and the cut is amazing, and the fabrics have a great hand. On the above photo, if you took off the crazy birdcage and the feather jacket, look at how lovely the skirt is.

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

This suit is strong and feminine and I think a very modern suit. Especially when paired with the knee high boots. Whether or not you decide to wear a hubcap for a hat, is up to you.

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Last time I saw lips like these, they were on Goldie Hawn's character in First Wives Club. Although I have to think since McQueen obviously had a Goth/Halloween theme going on in this show, that he was paying homage to the wax lips that we used to wear for Halloween. Remember those waxy red was lips that you would also purchase at the Five & Dime?

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

Alexander McQueen Fall 2009
Photograph: NY Magazine

And now for the piece de resistance.....If you have not seen this months Harpers Bazaar, then you are in for a visual treat. They had the king of spooky and weird, Tim Burton of course, conceptualize and direct the following fashion shoot. Its a wonderful homage to Halloween and all things Burton, I believe.
I gasped when I first opened the pages. The poses, the colors, it's so avant-garde and fabulous!

Harpers Bazaar October 2009
Directed by Tim Burton, Photograph by Tim Walker

This is the same Alexander McQueen hat as in the runway photograph above. I like how the mummy has her big platform shoes wrapped up too.

Harpers Bazaar October 2009
 Directed by Tim Burton, Photograph by Tim Walker

Harpers Bazaar October 2009
Directed by Tim Burton, Photograph by Tim Walker

I am glad they didn't use a field of pumpkins, and they used rows of beautiful flowers instead. Pumpkins would of been too literal, and the flowers are alive and feminine and offset all the creepy elements in the photos.

Harpers Bazaar October 2009
Directed by Tim Burton, Photograph by Tim Walker

NEED SOME JEWELRY TO GO WITH YOUR COSTUME....uhhh....errr.....OUTFIT?

Crowned skull ring by Jessica Kagan Cushman at Vivre

Vermeil snake by Uzca at Vivre


Volcanic stone spier pendant by Uzca at Vivre

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...