Awesome Awnings

Hotel Serrano in San Francisco
Photo: PJ Canvas

We have all walked by a store or hotel like the image above, and instinctively known it's a charming high-end type of place, but maybe we got that impression without really thinking about why. Just by seeing. Would this place stand out at all with out the eye-catching black & white striped awnings? Maybe not. Now, there are also homes such as this. Something about them looks like a glamorous retreat. Maybe they project our idea of a Beverly Hills or European villa, but we don't know exactly why.

One day last year I noticed my house was lacking that certain je ne sais quoi. That certain distinctive ooomph. It hit me in the middle of the night, literally. I awoke, knowing I needed something. Maybe awnings? They are all over our neighborhood but my mind nor my eyes ever paid any attention to them! I found the style I liked on the front door of a nearby shoe store, then used Google to find a local company to reproduce it. Ta Da! One year later, after installing them front and back over 10 months time, I have that special touch that I wanted. It was like putting on red lipstick. You can look fine without it, but with it..... what a difference!

My guest-house before:

... and after awnings

A view from my backyard of the multiple greek key trimmed awnings.

Detail of one by my kitchen window.


Photograph of Larimer Street, Denver Colorado, circa 1870
Photograph: Denver Public Library, Western History Collection x-22058


As awnings became more popular, a wide selection of striped patterns took the awning beyond it's original, utilitarian function to then serve as a decorative and appealing building feature. Soon it would make the transition from business to home.

Otis Awning Fabrics Company brochure, circa 1920's

Love the yellow! Why don't we see more of this today?
Photograph: Dustbunnys_album/photobucket

Old building/photo: Mike Jackson

Houston Residence/photo: John Daughtery

Photograph: reichelroque/photobucket

I think the choice to use a subtle taupe stripe is really smart on this home. I also like how they chose not to use sides, just a top drape of the awning. You really notice the iron spears this way and it keeps the house clean and true to the style of the home.

Photograph: reichelroque/photobucket

This house has little embellishment on the exterior, save for the iron railing and the clay roof. There are no shutters, no cast cement or cast stone surrounds. Can you imagine how plain this would look if it were not for the spears holding the simple black awnings on all the windows and the doors? This gives it some architectural interest.

Photograph: Superior Awning, Van Nuys, California

Perfection. The patio at the Viceroy Hotel designed by Kelly Wearstler

Photograph: From Domino Magazine/dominofiles/flickr
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...