Fall Flourish

My client has friends coming in town this weekend, so I went over and added some fall color to her house. My first trip was to the nursery for mini pumpkins, orchids, azaleas, and ivy.  Then I headed off to one of my favourite local florists, Dr. Delphinium.  While I was there, I picked up some roses, filler, and the most exquisite pumpkin centerpiece. They use uncut pumpkins and attach freeze dried flowers to the top. I suppose I could cut the flowers off and re-use them next year.


The above pumpkin is something you could totally do at home. I know Michael's has a good selection of dried flowers, and I dry my hydrangeas myself by hanging them upside down. Hot glue and some moss and you've saved yourself some money! Especially if you use a faux pumpkin, you can pull it out every year. This homeowner plans to use this as a centerpiece for Thanksgiving too.

But what really caught my eye at their boutique was this larger than life "moss lady". They fashioned a dress and  flowers for her hair all out of corn-husks and dried leaves. !!




Back at the client's home, I filled two giant clamshells on the dining table with tiny pumpkins and green variegated gourds. Azaleas often bloom in the south twice a year, in the spring and again in the fall. I think they are an overlooked but perfect fall foliage.



The homeowner had put these miniature corns in this silver basket and it looks so fantastic and elegant!


The floral designers at my local garden shop and nursery, Nicholson Hardie, designed this orchid arrangement to which they added a pinecone, mini pumpkin and brightly coloured oak leaves.


Instead of the expected orange pumpkin, why not do orange hued roses and a white pumpkin?


In this powder bath, I replaced the summer palm leaves weighted in sand with faxu-dried leaves from Pottery Barn, weighted in river rocks. I picked up a teeny-tiny pumpkin from Dr. Delphinium that is embellished with moss, berries and wheat. I think Pottery Barn is a great resource for holiday decorating. I also bought some of their acorns to put in glass hurricanes with their birch-wrapped candles.


The lavender berries and the warmly tinted roses are a sophisticated suggestion of Autumn. Perfect for a formal room.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...