I Heart Boston

I remember the first time I went to Boston... it was the winter of 2001, and I was pregnant with my first child. My husband and I took what we guessed was to be our last vacation for many years to come (and two kids later, we were right). I had always wanted to go to Boston, and I figured being 6 months pregnant I could survive any cold their winter might throw at me. Who needs long-underwear in 10 degree weather with 40 pounds on your tummy!?

We looked at two hotels to stay: The XV Beacon and The Eliot. I don't remember why we chose one over the other, they are both awesome, but we decided to stay at the Eliot Hotel. There's nothing better than walking into a luxurious space after traveling all day. I love that lobby. They had finished all the walls to look like cut tumbled stone. But it was paper! And it looked flawless....The first time I walked into the  lounge connecting the Eliot to the restaurant Clio was an "ah-ha" moment for me. It was done in the softest shades of camel and grey. It looked like the walls and floors were draped in cashmere and definitely started my love for that color combination (my favorite colors to wear together still). I wish I  had pictures of that lounge, but it is still pretty vivid in my mind. That lounge has been an inspiration to a couple interiors I've designed and in my wardrobe.  I think you should get your inspiration where you find it. Or where it finds you.

The lobby of the Eliot Hotel

The lobby of the Eliot Hotel

A guest room of the Eliot

I am a big fan of using one pattern of fabric, and repeating it everywhere, especially in a bedroom. I like how the bed canopy and window treatments are done in the exact same way, using the same fabric. I also really like the use of traditional sheers on bedroom windows, underneath drapes.  It is a good idea to always have (upholstered if able) extra seating in bedrooms. Be it a chaise, chair, ottoman, bench....somewhere else besides the bed to sit and take your shoes off. Also, I like how hotels always have a little desk and chair in the bedroom. But in our own bedrooms, we rarely do this. Why not?

A guest room at the Eliot

I love the idea of placing the mirror behind the headboard and it's canopy to open up the room. You could even mount two swing-arm reading lamps on top of the mirror for more layering and depth.

XV Beacon Hotel
Photo: sohaute.typepad.com

XV Beacon Hotel
Photo: Town & Country Travel Magazine

Guest room in XV Beacon Hotel
Photo: sohaute.typepad.com

XV Beacon Hotel Bath
Photo: sohaute.typepad.com

(For another one of my favorite hotels, go here.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...