They Say Gold Jewelry Is Back In ....

I SAY IT WAS NEVER OUT!

(image: Nordstrom)

Needless to say, I also have ALWAYS been a fan of yellow gold jewelry. I don't have a reason why I prefer it over the white metals, I just do.
Here's My Philosophy about jewelry. If the time is right, AND the price is right, go for it. Buy the real stuff. It will last and keep it's value and you can pass it on for generations to come. I have a pair of gold hoops (not expensive, probably worth $50, but they're 14k gold) from 8th grade and I STILL wear them. Without having to divulge my age, I'll say that  I've had them for over 25 years. But the real stuff ain't cheap. Especially now, with gold prices climbing and climbing. 

 So here's to the real stuff:

Brooch, Elizabeth Locke, from the 2006-2007 Collection

Buccellati c.1960's 18k Gold Leaf Earrings, Italy

One Vintage "Valeska" necklace insp. by 1970's/Netaporter

Elizabeth Locke necklaces from the Winter 2009 Neiman Marcus Catalogue 

But.... I am also a fan of Fake Gold.... (let's not call it Fool's gold, shall we? I ain't no fool!) It's all about the mix of the real and faux, right? Some of the  fake gold today looks extremely real, especially if it's trying to look like a higher karat gold. I have a lot of costume jewelry, including costume gold, and I mix it all the time with real stuff. It's hard to tell what's what. 

And here's to the faux stuff:

(image: cashon & co.)
I bought these earrings last year from designer Michelle Nussbaumer's store called Ceylon et Cie. They were made in Africa and were around $35. They are so bright and shimmery and really light-weight and unusual. A great buy. She has some really unique pieces - jewelry and of course furniture.

(image: cashon & co)
I bought these Jose & Maria Barrera clip-on earrings last year. They are not vintage, but they look it. I really didn't have any gold earrings that don't dangle so I set out to find a pair that were big and round, and these were exactly what I was searching for. Once I find a brand I like, such as Jose & Maria Barrera, I hit Ebay to see if I can find past season's designs for less. But even full price, these are inexpensive.

(image: cashon & co)
I found this multi-strand chain at an antique mall over 5 years ago for under $10. I had this big aquamarine stone already, so I ran a wire though it, and created a pendant for the chain. It took 5 minutes and about $15 and now I have a necklace that looks unique and real when I wear it.

(image: cashon & co.)
I found this pendant at Antique Row in Dallas a few years ago. It is from Czechoslovakia and is circa 1910. It is in the shape of a fly with red (most likely glass) stones on the wings, and it slides open to reveal a mirror, which now has the most lovely antiqued patina on it. It is a base-metal but has such a rich colour to it that I think it looks like real gold. I found the chain, probably c.1970's, at an antique mall and used the end clasp to attach to the pendant and it is now one of my most favourite pieces I have. And for such a bargain too.

(image: cashon & co.)
While I'm used to seeing costume jewelry with rhinestones on white metal, I was blown away when I saw it on gold metal. I bought both of these about 18 months ago and if memory serves me right,  the cuff is Bagdley Mishka and the earrings are Jose & Maria Barrera. I wear these a lot, and not just when I dress up. Up close the cuff looks kind of campy, with mesh and all, but once it's on my arm, it is STRIKING. 

So here's to the REAL and the FAKE. But right now my pocketbook (and my desire to mix it up) is REALLY DIGGIN THE FAUX. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...