Just Beet It!

My friend Annette AND my assistant Lisa both within the last month have joined a local food co-op. One lives in Houston, and one lives in Dallas... but the premise is the same. They both sign up for weekly or bi-monthly visits and when they arrive at the location, their bags are filled up with whatever fresh local vegetables the farmers bring that day. Lisa also signed up for meat and dairy. She says everything is so fresh and organic. When Annette was telling me this on the phone, she was saying how that week her bag was filled up with assorted veggies, including beets. I told her I HAD to give her this beet salad recipe... it's so easy I was able to tell her on the phone in about 2 sentences.
It seems as if I get a lot of my recipes from my mom, but when she cooks it's usually really good. Not too long ago she made the aforementioned simple beet salad. It is so delicious, I tell you! And easy. It's one of those things you truly throw together. So Annette, here it is again -- in pictures!


Start with some roasted beets (place beets on foil and drizzle with olive oil, bake them in a 350℉ oven until tender- usually 25-60 minutes depending on how many- let cool and remove the skin). Put some bibb lettuce on a plate, slice one beet and spread it on lettuce.  Drizzle with balsamic glaze (make it yourself by pouring balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 2-4 minutes until thick), olive oil, and sprinkle with Feta or Goat Cheese. That's it! It is SO yummy, and makes a great side-dish.

(images: cashon & co)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...