Crazy Collections... But With Great Memories Attached

I say crazy, maybe I should say "wacky" or even "embarrassing".... but my husband and I have some funny things that we like to collect, in the way of movie and t.v. memorabilia. I guess I could admit that essentially I am the one that purchased almost every one of these, but I bought them with my man  me in mind. I am just making this worse the more I go on, so here are some of our  my prized possessions. You be the judge.

1976


When the show aired in 1976, I started collecting the trading cards. In a pack you would get about 20 cards, a stick of gum, and maybe some stickers. Also, on the back of each card would be part of a puzzle, and if you had enough of the cards, from each episode and season, you could put together the puzzle.

Kate Jackson as Sabrina Duncan (69 episodes, 1976-1979). 

Sadly, when my friend down the street Meredith and I would "play" Charlie's Angels (I was in elementary school when this came out) no one wanted to be Sabrina. She was too sensible and no-nonsense. But her character brought the show a certain sense of success that I don't think it would of had if all the "detectives" were just pretty to look at. Looking back at her images now, she was quite a smart dresser!

Jaclyn Smith as Kelly Garrett (110 episodes, 1976-1981)

I posted earlier  a picture of Jaclyn Smith today, and I think of all the Angels, she has aged the best. She looks absolutely incredible! I guess it also helps that she is married to a Plastic Surgeon, but hey, I'm not going to throw stones, I can only hope to look like her when I'm almost 65. Kelly was just as my trading card says above: Heavenly!! She had a sweet face with a husky voice. Little girls everywhere wanted to be her.

Farrah Fawcett as Jill Munroe (1976-1977).

Jill was the flamboyantly sexy one, with the hair that developed Farrah her own shampoo (Which I used. It had a picture of her on the front. I used it instead of Prell because there was that Urban Legend that Prell would make your hair fall out.... then when they quit selling Farrah's shampoo, we all used Gee, Your Hair Smell's Terrific)







Cheryl Ladd as Kris Munroe (87 episodes, 1977-1981)

Kris replaced Jill as her little sister who just finished Police Academy. I remember vividly when she joined the "Townsend Agency". She was my favorite Angel. I begged my babysitters to style my hair like hers. I would try and find clothes like hers and put scarves and flowers around my neck also. I guess this show must of been popular in France, because all my trading cards have French subtitles. 

1978


Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing, Patrick Duffy as Bobby Ewing, Linda Gray as Sue Ellen Ewing, Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie, Victoria Principal as Pamela Barnes Ewing, Charline Tilton as Lucy Ewing, Ken Kercheval as Cliff Barnes, and Steve Kanaly as Ray Krebbs (1977-1991)


Some of my un-opened Dallas trading cards. Of course, being from Dallas and living here during the height of what is considered the first "night-time soap opera", Dallas was a big deal to me. I watched it every Saturday night until about the time that J.R. Ewing was shot. I remember that was the summer that my parents changed the wallpaper in my bathroom. After they stripped the existing wallpaper, and before the new one went up, my friend Meredith (same one who I played Charlie's Angels with and made up dance routines in the front yard to Rod Stewart's Don't Ya Think I'm Sexy) and I wrote ALL over the walls "Who Shot J.R.??" "Was it Kristin?" "I think it was Bobby!" "J.R. Rules!" "Sue Ellen Did it!" "Who is Ray Krebbs anyways!" Whoever moves into that house in the future and strips down those walls has entered into a time-warp.


Olivia Newton-John as Sandy Olsson and John Travolta as Danny Zuko


This is my script (the original script was signed by the cast members and I have a copy of the original). 


This is a page from "Automotive Repair Classroom" where Danny, Kenickie, Sonny, Putzie and Doody are about to break into the Greased Lightening song with "fervor"... I had this 33 LP Album, and still have it. It opens up in the front and I remember they have fake "coffee-stained rings" on the album art. My friends and I would put this record on every chance we got and sing-along. I bet you get a bunch of late 30's- mid 40's girls together at a karaoke machine and they will know every word to every song by heart.

1979


Gil Gerard as Capt. William "Buck" Rogers, Erin Gray as Col. Wilma Deering, and Felix Silla as Twiki the Robot (1979-1981)

My Buck Rogers cards next to my Charlie's Angels cards


Don't ask me why, but my little brother and I loved this show. I liked Erin Gray as "Wilma" (read caption from card above: "Wilma's Chilly Reception". They just don't write em like that anymore!) but I really liked Twiki Twiki. I guess there was a real person inside that costume but he always felt like a real robot to me.

Tom Selleck as Thomas Magnum, John Hillerman as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III, Roger E. Mosley as T.C. Calvin (TC), and Larry Manetti as Orville "Rick" Wright (1980-1988)


These are my Magnum Bubble Gum Cards, unopened. I am curious to open them, but just can't bring myself to do it. I can only imagine how old the gum inside is. Ewww..... I remember watching some weekend afternoon show called "Battle of the Celebrity Stars" or something and Tom Selleck was a contestant. It was the season before this show aired and they were talking about he was going to be the "next big thing". They were right. NO ONE ELSE can pull off short-shorts, a hawaiian shirt and a mustache like Magnum. NO ONE.

I love the relationship between Higgins and Magnum. What I find incredible is that John Hillerman who played Higgins is not actually british. He is from Denton, Texas. Can you believe it? Can you imagine him calling his dogs lads "Zeus!" "Apollo!" in a Texas hick accent? If you saw the episode where Higgins "cousin" from Texas, also played by Hillerman,  came for a visit, then you probably saw what is closer to his real accent. That is a true actor. 

Lloyd Bridges as Steve McCroskey
Peter Graves as Captain Clarence Oveur
Julie Hagerty as Elaine Dickinson "You got a letter from headquarters this morning." Striker: "What is it?" "It's a big building where generals meet, but that's not important
Robert Hays as Ted Striker Lady: "Nervous?" "Yes." "First time?" "No, I've been nervous lots of times"
Leslie Nielson as Dr. Rumack "Surely you can't be serious." "I'm serious and please don't call me Shirley"
Robert Stack as Rex Kramer "Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as Roger Murdock
Stephen Stucker as Johnny Reporter: "What kind of plane is it?" "Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."
Barbara Billingsley as Jive Lady "Excuse me stewardess, I speak Jive....


Like my Grease Script, I also have one for Airplane! which is one of my all-time favorite movies. I don't need the script though to know all of the funny lines. I think when this movie came out in 1980, I probably saw it in the theatre 7-8 times (all the kids in our neighborhood would go together) and then when it came out on Beta and VHS, I saw it another 30+ times.... It's a classic. 



Rumack: Captain, how soon can you land?
Captian Oveur: I can't tell.
Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.
Captain Oveur: No, I mean I'm just not sure.
Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?
Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.
Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.


McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
McCroskey: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines....


McCroskey: Johnny, what can you make out of this? [Hands him the weather briefing]
Johnny:  This? Why, I can make a hat or a brooch or a pterodactyl....

McCroskey: I need the best man on this. Someone who knows that plane inside and out and won't crack under pressure.
Johnny: How about Mister Rogers?

Striker: Mayday! Mayday!
McCroskey: What the heck is that?
Johnny:  Why, that's the Russian New Year. We can have a parade and serve hot hors d'oeuvres...

Johnny: The tower, the tower! Rapunzel! Rapunzel!
[plugging back in the runway lights] Just kidding

Kramer: All right, I'll need three men up at the tower. You, Neubauer. You, Macias.
Johnny: Me, John, Big Tree!

Striped Controller: Bad news. The fog's getting thicker.
Johnny: And Leon is getting laaaaaarrrrrger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...