Jorge Elias: My New Found Design Genius


THANK YOU TONS TO THE AWESOME BLOG THE NEO LIFESTYLE FOR INTRODUCING ME TO INCREDIBLE DESIGNERS! Most recently, the Brazilian designer Jorge Elias. The Neo Lifestyle posted about Elias here, and as soon as I saw the photos of his interiors, I KNEW I had to see more. Right Away. This is my kind of designer. My kind of decorating. I just felt an instant connection to Elias's work. (By the way, if you haven't visited The Neo Lifestyle, go there now. This man has got some SERIOUS good taste. Take some time to really go through his posts and see the quality of spaces and designers he features.)

Okay now, can we talk just a second about these photos? That classic torso sculpture in a shocking blue colour encased in plexiglass -- sharing space with world-class antiques and art? This makes me crazy! In a good way! And I am loving the fabric he used for the curtains on the window on the staircase here. Most people would of ignored this window, but he embellished it and still kept the look simple. Even with a busy print!


This is a bedroom created by Elias... Here's why I like this so much. 1) It looks like someone really lives here and uses this room. There are desks and chairs and a large sofa... and books stacked everywhere. 2) It's comfortable looking, yet every piece is elegant. 3) I am a fan of simple white bedding and sheets. Can you image how serious this room would be if there was a stuffy embroidered comforter and 30 pillows in dark-damask serious patterns? 4) The pop of a contemporary piece of art (or in this case photography) amongst the serious antiques. Plus, this is the place to put your art that might be more "intimate" in nature, such as this nude of Marilyn Monroe. I've always cringed a little when I see realistic nudes over a dining table. No thanks. Save it for your personal space, not the public rooms. 

The Neo Lifestyle posted this image also on his blog. It wasn't easy finding pictures of Elias's work so I credit Neo's discovery of these 3 great images above and the one below!


I happened to find an interview, conducted by a French blogger Hansaxel from the blog Dékio, who traveled to Brazil to speak with Elias. The full interview can be found here, but I thought I'd include some of the hi-lights below...

Hansaxel : That Italian villa is extraordinary ?… When was it built?
Jorge Elias : That’s a very ordinary house I’ve been working in since the late 80s… The Italian atmosphere is all my creation…

Hansaxel : Where does this interest for Italy come from ?
Jorge Elias : I spent two years in Rome when I was studying art history there, and I studied architecture in Sao Paulo as well.

Hansaxel : How was the interior design world in Brasil when you started in the 80s ?
Jorge Elias : There was a lot of modern furniture, American-style stuff, but the Brazilian tropical style didn’t exist.
I created that Brazilian style of decoration, that use of local elements: parrots, palms….



Hansaxel : How would you define Jorge Elias’ style ?
Jorge Elias : Classic with a touch of Brazilian exoticism. I give much value to things created here in Brazil.

Hansaxel : Where do you buy all these antiques ?
Jorge Elias : Mainly in Paris, at all kinds of antique dealers from the most prestigious ones, to much smaller ones, in central Paris, and at the flea markets too.


Hansaxel : Which periods are you interested in ? 
Jorge Elias : From the 18th century til the 1940s.

Hansaxel : How does a project happen ? What is the schedule?
Jorge Elias :  Generally, I draw the project, the decor of each room, with its furniture. Clients express their desire which we are made to translate into actual decoration. We take around 6 months for conception, then between 1 and 3 years for the actual realization.

Hansaxel : Which job would you have done if you hadn’t been an interior designer?
Jorge Elias : … maybe archaeologist, because that is really this search for fascinating pieces which keeps me passionate.

(All 4 photos above courtesy of: Constance Borges-Zahn)


I love this room above, courtesy of Elias's portfolio. It is elegant yet cozy to me. And the murals on the wall are a great idea. Of course I love the pendant light fixture. I have used a similar one for a client, below.


(image: cashon & co)

I found mine on 1st Dibs Saturday Sale. It is a French 1940's chandelier, and I didn't have to do anything to it but clean it. It is fun to see something like this, an antique piece, used in two totally different applications with totally different styles.


This is an image of Elias's beach house living room. There is so much to say about this room! I would of never thought to put THREE moroccan-style stools in front of a sofa, much less take the theme of pairs of yellow pillows and expand it with pairs of lamps on each side with matching yellow shades! But it works! There is a mix of patterns here, mix of colours, and varied heights in objects. Very interesting, very cozy, very sophisticated. 


Jorge also studied Architecture and has done many architectural projects, such as this São Paolo home above. I have family in São Paolo and I had no idea there was SUCH an extravagant lifestyle like this there. Wow. One visit to Elias's website, you'll see what I mean. I mean really? He has dining tables longer than my whole house! But you know what? I love looking at extravagant design, when done right, such as his are. I can get inspiration anywhere, but it's easy to get inspired by beauty and good taste.
If you're like me, and need reading glasses and don't have them with you, click on this image to enlarge. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...