Time for a Geometry Lesson!

Since Schools started back, let's study some geometry!! *yawn*.... Well, at least the fun kind. I really relate to geometric objects, which probably explains why I am drawn to most things Art Deco, especially that period's jewelry. I like the balance, contour, and order that is in geometric design.  The dictionary defines the word geometric as [something] being characterized by or decorated with regular lines and shapes. I say orderliness is very comforting (especially when it is in lucite... or diamonds! ha!)
below: Paul Evans style cabinets with metal veneered fronts and mirrored tops. circa 1970's
Comme Des Garcons Poof Dress


Black Druzy Quartz ring set in 18k gold. The sparkles are not diamonds, it is the inside of the druzy stone, which has been dipped in platinum to give it that shimmer.  I designed and had this ring made several years ago. It was best to let the mounting follow the natural shape of the stone.
Cake Stand, c. 1930, England

Jules Engel acrylic painting, c. 1970's

Stacked lucite table, c. 1970's.

Table sculpture by Larry Lubow, 21 century

French handbag, circa 1925

Neoclassical fruitwood italian chest, circa 1815.

Folk art flying geese quilt from Pennsylvania, circa 1865-1875

French light pendant, 1920's design

Emerald & diamond earrings, circa 1920. These earrings were passed down to me, they originally  belonged to my great aunt. They're small and delicate and what I like about them is the unusual shape they have. I often toy with the idea of what they would look like as cufflinks. I love french cuffed shirts for women.
Clarice Cliff Lotus jug/vase, England, circa 1930. Until about 5 years ago,  I had never heard of Clarice Cliff. But her name kept coming up on two of my favorite shows: Cash in the Attic (the original British version, with Alistair Appleton) and Bargain Hunt (again, the British version with David Dickinson).  Apparently, there is a large population that are devout in accumulating her pottery.


Go home and check your old brightly- colored, abstract pottery and see if you have this signature on the bottom.  If you do, you might have won a small lottery!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...