Collect: Antique Purses

I have a small collection of antique purses, some inherited, some bought.  What I love about them is that they are handmade, delicate, tiny and that they really are like a piece of jewelry! 

 This is the purse that started it all. I inherited it from my paternal side of the family. I don't remember who it initially belonged to, but I think it is from the Victorian era. The inside is covered in a peach silk, and the back of the attached mirror is also covered in the same silk. The silk is so old that it is torn, but I have managed to use this purse a lot. It actually holds more than just lipstick!

above photographs: cashonandcompany.blogspot.com

These four purses are ones I own.   The one on the left I found at a local Consignment Store, and it is an exquisite microbeaded purse with a gold laurel wreath on the clasp. It does need some repairs though. The two in the middle were family pieces. My dad just gave me the bottom one, and it has been in our family since the 1800's.  The top piece is called an extension gate purse, and when you open it, the top spreads out to a very large circular opening. The purse on the right I bought, although I don't remember where. It is 18k gold, with a stone on the top. It feels incredible in your hand, like silk.




This purse is currently being listed on eBay. It is a French, 18k gold mesh purse with diamonds and sapphires on the clasp.  Based on the hallmark, it dates somewhere between 1847-1919.



This wonderful Art Deco purse is also currently listed on eBay. Of course it has the malachite color that I adore, done in enamel. What I like most about this "finger purse" is that true to it's era, it is really a compact. There is a mirror, and place for your powder/puff, and coins. It's fabulous.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...