DALLAS HOMES

Well, I had one of my back issues of DHome Magazine sitting near me, specifically the March/April 2011 issue. I was looking at this gorgeous home on a small lake in the middle of the city, and I wanted to share it with everyone.




Photography by Stephen Karlisch

Too tired to go to my office and scan the images, I went to their website here to look for that issue. I couldn't find anywhere that you could search entire spreads by issues, just by rooms and I found one shot from this article.

But the rest of the images (Living Rooms, to be precise) were SO gorgeous that I want to share those as well. I just feel compelled to show the rest of the world what Dallas is really like, especially since there are a plethora of shows on right now (Big Rich Texas, Most Eligible Dallas, Donna Decorates Dallas, Texas Women) that in my opinion as a born & raised Dallasite, do not really portray our city in truth/reality.
  [i am not making any insinuations about on the women/people in these shows, and this is NOT a personal dig in anyway to the featured casts, so no need to send negative comments my way]

I watched an episode of one of these the other night and the leading girl said something like "it IS true that we all like big hair, the bigger the better, more hairspray the better, more glitz, the better, etc...." and my head was just blank. Like I had one of those cartoon thinking clouds outside my head, with a big blank in it. I couldn't understand that because everyone I know, and in the Dallas I know, it is subtle. Slick straight hair. Simple studs in the ears. Clean lined clothes. Sparse make-up. Elegant bags. Elegant personalities. So, I am thinking, is this what EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE ELSE thinks of Dallas? That we are BIG, LOUD & PROUD? 
Proud, YES. But I question the big & loud part. (Well, I have been known to be loud too. So maybe it is all 'right on')

So here are what I consider more appropriate images of Dallas Design, and having been born, reared, and currently living within Dallas Proper, I (in my 'never to be humble opinion') think I'm right. *wink




From 2004, a modern spin on neoclassical style from James McInroe



Photography by Aimee Herring
This living room, above, is one of my favourites. It is an apartment in a local high-rise, and that map of Rome above the custom desk by Woods & Butler is stunning. 




Photography by Stephen Karlisch
What I took away from this gorgeous room, above,  is the way they framed the 19th century French panels. The panels, although purchased in Atlanta, were originally in a music room in a Paris apartment. It shows that you CAN make a very FORMAL room and keep it au courant by adding come modern objects such as sculpture and lucite. To complete the French look, an iconic Louis 'Ghost' Chair and a Venetian chandelier from one of my favourite Antique stores here, Le Louvre French Antiques.




Photography by Stephen Karlisch



Photography by Stephen Karlisch
The rooms above AND below belong to the same house. I like how the formals have some classical elements (in the art, mantel, etc...) and the casual living area is a little bit more modern in its furnishings, although the cocktail table below is very neoclassical in style too.




Photography by Stephen Karlisch
Like the white cowhide rug above? We have one just like it for sale, here.




Photography by Stephen Karlisch
Would you believe me if I told you that the living area, directly in center at the far back, is outside? How glamorous! Outdoor curtains, full sisal flooring, and a chandelier make this seem like part of the den. And the room below, is also in the same gorgeous home, and done in my favourite colour combination: grey & smokey lilac.




Photography by Stephen Karlisch
THIS WAS FUN FOR ME TO DO! I forgot just HOW MUCH GOOD GREAT DESIGN EXISTS IN DALLAS. I think I might round out the week with some entryways, bathrooms, dining and bedrooms from Dallas. In other words, I am totally procrastinating right now from doing the things I really need to be working on. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...