Glass Houses


I remember quite vividly the first time I ever saw a "glass house" or even heard about one. I was in 5th grade and was standing in line at the Tom Thumb grocery store, with my mom. Tucked under my arm was my new 33 LP "Billy Joel Glass Houses". This was 1980.


I took the title literally, as I should of, I was 10. But little did I know that Billy was actually standing in front of his own real glass house, in Oyster Bay, which he bought after being denied an apartment in NYC. I've always remembered this house, from this album 30+ years ago. And there's quite a few Glass Houses around (I'm not talking about figurative ones, there's more than a "few" of those! Ha!).



The above two photographs are from Architect Philip Johnson's famed Glass House in New Canaan. Johnson, who was a Harvard educated architect and the director of MOMA's department of architecture built his dream house, the Glass House. This home and surrounding property housed a world-class art collection of some of America's most famous artists, most of whom he was also friends with: Frank Stella, Andy Warhol and Mark Rothko. This house is available to tour. For more information, click here. The Philip Johnson Glass House also has it's own blog which is pretty cool. It keeps you updated on all the rotating installations and events held there.

Another cool house, on the other side of the pond, is the Glass House in Belgium, designed by Architect Bassam El-Okeily from Egypt. In the day, this house is unique on it's own with a clear but abstract view of the inside.

But at night, special lighting makes the facade it's own art installation.



This last image of the house for some reason reminds me of Hitchcock's Rear Window.

This Glass House resides in the Forests of Italy and was designed by Carlo Santambrogio and Ennio Arosio.


Unlike the previous glass houses, this one is true to it's name because EVERYTHING is made entirely in glass from the staircases and kitchens....

...to the sofas, bookcases and beds.


And as much as I loved the "ice princess" feel of the house in the winter, this view in the summer can't be beat. I am going to go out on a limb here and guess there is no central heating and air?


It seems to be floating on water. And I hate to state the obvious, but there is no toilet. Maybe there is a glass 'out-house'? Fiberglass that is?

This is a VERY narrow house, called the 3 Meter House to be exact, designed in glass by architect Boyarsky Murphy.

If you find this kind of living is your thing, Nicky Adams has a book on Glass Houses here.

Better yet, visit Ivy Lane Designs on Etsy where they make notebooks from vintage Album Covers, including Billy's Glass House album. Genius!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...