Patron Saint of Animals


St. Francis of Assisi

St. Francis was a Catholic friar who founded the Franciscan Order. Once a wealthy man, he lost his taste for the worldly life and turned to begging with the beggars at St. Peters. The whole experience moved him to live in poverty. He soon developed a large following, founded the Order of Poor Ladies, and died while singing a psalm. In July of 1228, the Pope pronounced Francis the patron saint of Animals, and hence he is one of the most popular and beloved Saints today.


I took my sweet Akita Bella (1993-2006) several times to get Blessed on St. Francis Day (October 4th).

My Bella

Growing up,  on that designated day everyone would bring their pets --snakes, gerbils, cats and dogs-- to my school and in the parking lot the Priest would bless them all. That brings great memories to me. I think we took our dogs Little Bear and Freebie.

image: blogs.orlandosentinel.com
image: gozonews.com
image: newshopper.suiekha.com
So, when I saw this little "church sign spat" somewhere on the web, it made me laugh. I don't know why, but I find the whole situation ironic and sadly hilarious.









 I'm Still Laughing.....
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...