SHOPPING THE CASES AT THE ANTIQUE MALL


Maybe I should rephrase that: WINDOW SHOPPING THE CASES AT THE ANTIQUE MALL. 

As I am almost always looking, and rarely purchasing, I think 'window shopping' is more appropriate. But nevertheless, it is calming and relaxing for me to take my time (when I have it) and go up and down the aisles (of ANY Antique Mall, this trips pictures are all from Forestwood Antique Mall in Dallas) and look at EACH and EVERY thing in the case.



There are lots of cases at Forestwood, and they have a great selection of Kenneth Jay Lane costume jewelry -- which I love. 



I find that when I go shopping with friends, that it seems no-one stops to look inside these cases. But to me, the little treasures are sometimes the most interesting.



I have always been fond of insect jewelry, probably because I grew up remembering my grandmother wearing a gold bumble-bee brooch. The dragonfly pin above reminds me of early Art Nouveau jewelry, as the French did so many pieces in the form of insects, but especially dragonflies. 


This frog by KJL above reminded me of a lady that was in a post I did on Advanced Style blog, and she was noticed by the photographer for wearing a frog ring. He soon found out that she collected frogs.


So when I was at the check-out counter, visiting with my Forestwood Friends, I spotted these two brooches sitting there. I was instantly smitten with these. Especially the bees, as it reminded me of my grandmothers. They told me that they were already sold, and I figured it was okay, since I was sure they were out of my price range, with the diamonds and rubies for the eyes and all....


Then I flipped over the price tag. They were $15 each. And signed!! DRATZ!!! 
That is the great thing about high-end costume jewelry, especially vintage. Sometimes it is hard to tell if they were made of real gold or if they used real stones because they were so well made. The costume jewelry of the past (and some of the present too) would employ really skilled jewelers who would hand-set the stones, hence the high-end quality to them and why they keep their value and demand today.

Looking at this picture of the pin with the $15 tag attached is still hard, I REALLY wanted it! But I bet if I keep looking in the cases, I'll find another one... one day.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...