HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO.....U2


{ If you're a dorky fan like me, while you read this post, open a new window, go here, crank the volume and listen to U2 while you read the rest. Oh and this post will take some time. Its a long one. But it's not torture, it's food for the music lover in you. And when that one is finished, listen to this song while you read the words. It's magical. }


51 YEARS OLD AND STILL ROCKIN!!
but thank goodness the mullet is gone!

I THINK THE BEST SUMMATION AND BIRTHDAY TOAST COMES FROM THE STAFF OF ATU2.COM. They published a post today in honour of his birthday, and I'll just let them take it from here. Enjoy!

"Bono turns 51 today. That seems more like a professor's age than a rock star's age, but then again, Bono has never been your typical rock star, has he? About all you learn from some rock stars is how not to live (drugs, crime, rehab, jail … you name it). But Bono's different in that regard, too, isn't he?

To celebrate his 51st birthday, several members of the @U2 staff were given about 200 words to write a response to this prompt: What I've Learned From Bono."


Upon his induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005, Bono said, "Rock and roll is the sound of revenge." He should know, I guess, and so it's when I think of what revenge might act like, too, that I look to how Bono has carried himself whilst sounding vengeful with U2 for more than 35 years, well over half of his 51 years on earth. As a study of revenge, Bono has stayed together with band mates, a manager, a crew, friends, a wife and children for a long, long time. 


He has pursued his craft with determination and accepted high standards for himself. He has overcome ego by enabling it on behalf of the less fortunate. He is careless enough to risk what is worth losing, when others would care to guard it. He is vain enough to want people to pay attention to him for the wrong reasons, if only so he can bend their ears about the right reasons. He plays, he laughs and he reserves the right to be ridiculous. He has defied the low expectations for the rock 'n' roller, elevating them as he goes. For me, he illustrates that other maxim of living well being the best revenge.
- Scott Calhoun


Bono is a great frontman, undoubtedly one of the greatest in rock history. But each time I see U2 perform, I sometimes wonder, "What is Bono doing up there??" I think a big part of his greatness is that he's a total goober on stage. What do I mean by "goober"? A goober is someone who is unafraid to let the moment get the better of him, someone who is willing to look less than "cool" to get his point across clearly and effectively, and at no one else's expense but his. 


Using this definition, therefore, Bono is the ultimate goober. In front of 90,000 fans, he unabashedly jumps around, dances and gyrates as if no one else were in the room. And it is precisely this apparent lack of "coolness" that helps him command the attention of thousands of people. By letting go of his self-consciousness and allowing the music and the moment to take him over completely, he helps bring new meaning to those notes and lyrics he sings so passionately. What I've learned from Bono is that letting go can actually bring you closer to the heart of the matter. Happy Birthday, Bono … you big goober.

- Christopher Endrinal



After Sept. 11, 2001, I couldn't listen to music for weeks. Every chord, whether major or minor, seemed to me to be a celebration of life. It felt wrong to escape the horror of terrorism when so many people would never again be able to have dinner with their families or go to the movies. At about the three-week mark, I eased my way back into sound by listening to Van Morrison, not U2. I was angry with U2 for making me believe in the '80s that I could change the world, that if I worked hard enough for what I believed in, I could make the world a better place. I felt duped, betrayed.


It was close to Thanksgiving before I realized that U2 didn't make me believe in equality, human rights and personal responsibility; I gravitated to U2 because I believed in those things already. So, I got into the car, put on The Joshua Tree and started singing out loud. What I learned from Bono, and all of the guys, was to trust myself, to have faith in the choices I have made in my life, and to believe that hope is more important than success.

- Arlan E. Hess


Bono has taught me about "blessings" in a way church never could:

1. Blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel.

2. "Love thy neighbor" is a command, not a piece of helpful advice, and to carry each other is not a burden – it's a blessing.

3. Grace is a blessing that defies reason, logic and religious argument; love is what counts.

- Karen Lindell



Whether it's in a stadium with 60,000 people, or an appropriations meeting with a few heads of state, one thing's for certain: Bono knows how to work a room. He's successful on both ends of the spectrum because he's able to draw people in, making them feel as if they're the only ones that matter. I've watched him in both settings, and have employed some of his techniques in my everyday life:

1. When greeting people, compliment them.
2. If someone asks, "Do you remember me from …?" respond with, "Of course! How have you been?"
3. Speak softly. It forces the other person to lean in closer to hear you.
4. Look people in the eye, and don't break eye contact even if they are clamoring for your attention and shouting your name. (This isn't hard if you're not a rock star, but it's handy if you have kids!)
5. Be kind and respectful of others. Let them speak without being interrupted.
6. Sprinkle the conversation with niceties. Bono uses words like "darlin'" and "sweetheart" with women fans, "sir" and "young man" with the guys.
7. Say what you mean, and know what you're talking about.
8. Be sincere.

- Marylinn Maione




That what you do is more important than what you say, and that what you say doesn't matter much if it's not backed up with actions that match

That having great arguments is a sure sign of an organization's vitality and a path to success.

That you can overcome any obstacle if you work hard enough. 

That no dream is too far-fetched.

That loyalty to family and friends is still worth something. 

That being a Christian is not a straitjacket. 

That life should be fragrant, and some things have to be believed to be seen.

- Matt McGee



I think the greatest lesson I've learned from Bono is to write from the heart. I always want to please people with my writing and I often sacrifice placing certain things into my work because others might not care enough about them. 

When writing songs, Bono pours his entire soul onto the paper without a care in the world. He lets his mind run free as the words turn into a beautiful song. He must be doing something right, as thousands of fans sing along to his brilliant lyrics at every U2 show. Bono has shown me that there is no limit to what your imagination can create and that the greatest story every written starts with you.

- Jill Marino





I try to live by the mantra "don't sweat the small stuff."  By looking at the big picture of life and my place in it, I remain grounded. It is too easy to get bogged down in the minutiae of everyday situations, then become overwhelmed or paralyzed by those situations.



Over the years, I have watched Bono take on the considerable role as a crusader for those who need a strong voice (living up to his nickname). I don't have the sway Bono has to help others on a large scale, but I have come to realize that my small actions can add up to making a big impact.


I can help by participating in advocacy initiatives such as the ONE campaign, or by making socially conscious purchasing decisions through partnerships like RED. I apply the same principles locally, where I get involved in my community to help those less fortunate, the environment and animals.



In a Rolling Stone article published Nov. 3, 2005, Jann S. Wenner wrote, "Bono gives us a vision of how tomorrow can be better than today. He appeals to something greater than ourselves."

Bono has taught me that my actions count.
- Becky Myers



I have covered a closet door with quotes, clippings and all things inspirational so that every morning when I open that closet to look for the day's outfit, I see them. 
There's one in particular that I read every day. It's from U2's "Acrobat":

"And you can swallow / Or you can spit / You can throw it up / Or choke on it / And you can dream / So dream out loud / You know that your time is coming 'round / So don't let the bastards bring you down." 

Growing up, it wasn't always easy to remember that I can make my own luck and, well, dream out loud. Bono and his words have helped me believe in myself, even at times when it hasn't been easy, at times when I've felt like everything is going wrong and no one seems to notice. He has helped me remember that I can throw it up or choke on it -- that it is my decision.

- Iidaliisa Partanen




In the early '80s, I saw U2 perform for the first time. I was captivated by their lead singer who spoke up for those without a voice. When Bono made his first trip to Ethiopia with Ali, his actions spoke to me. It was there that he made his commitment to do something about the poverty and HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa. I made that commitment with him then.

Bono made good on his commitment to the world's poor by starting the ONE organization, DATA and Product (RED). It was because of Bono that I learned about his friend, AIDS-activist Agnes Nyamayarwo. Bono saved Agnes' life and was inspired by her to start the ONE organization. I was so moved by Agnes' own story that I now sell jewelry and crafts that the ladies of her village in Uganda make. Those profits help support their families.

As much as Bono the rock star has meant to me, it is Bono the humanitarian that has had the most profound effect on my life. Bono has taught me that a rock star from Ireland, an AIDS activist from Africa and a mom from the U.S.A. can each save lives in our own way.
- Lisa Zeitlinger



Here's my thoughts on the above tributes. Can you imagine departing this world and having an impact like this on so many people? Honestly, I can't imagine making a difference in so many people's lives. Even if it is not soul-changing, even if it is bringing a smile and perspective, it is an imprint on people's hearts and life experiences. I don't want to change the world myself, but I can only hope that when I leave this Earth I can make the same impression on my children. If they can think these things of me, than I have done well. Even the "goober" part.

SO IN HONOUR OF MR. HEWSON'S BIRTHDAY, I AM RE-PUBLISHING A POST THAT I ORIGINALLY MADE IN ONE YEAR AGO. And in my own words, here is what U2 means to me: as the band that has sung in my ear through decades. From my first introduction to the band with Sunday Bloody Sunday through my walkman at camp when I was 12, to now.... Here's my toast! (Maybe i'll repost this every May 10th? Happy Birthday Paul!)

Not the most flattering of pictures... from the concert when they came to Jerry World. 
"Okay, where to start. I....LIKE...U2. A LOT. A WHOOOOLE LOT. All my friends at this point have already signed off. Seriously, they have. I can hear their back-browsers clicking away from here... But you know, there are things far worse than really liking a band and their music! I remember listening to U2 for the very first time in 1982, on my Sony Walkman. Sunday Bloody Sunday was that first song and since then I have been hooked.

College is when I really became a devout fan. It was then that I went to my first concert, and memorized every song from every album. I also had tapes with all their interviews, and special mix-tapes I had made (remember those?)  I heard someone once describe their music as "anthem" like. And you know what? That's pretty accurate. Not all of them, but if you listen to their live recordings, it's amazing to hear at least 30 thousand people singing along, knowing every single word, well after the music has stopped. It's beyond words really.

After September 11, I remember all the major news stations played montages of the victims and footage of the WTC to U2's Walk On. When I saw that on TV, I lost it. That song seemed like it was written for what happened. It tore my heart. In November of 2001, I drove to Austin to see them play the Elevation tour. Their very last song that night, they sang Walk On... but behind them, they had a 3 story screen, and during the song, they listed every name of every victim of 9/11. The emotions I had in that concert is indescribable. I cried so hard that my eyes were still swollen the next day. 

me & bono ☺

On a happier note, I had the privilege of meeting Bono about 3 years ago. To make a long story short, it has always been on my short list as one of the things I wanted to do before I die. I was seriously ready to write Oprah & beg, but then bonne-chance occurred. I was able to attend a private reception for him when he traveled to Dallas to talk on behalf of the World Affairs Council about Aid to Africa. I was sooooo nervous. When I finally met him, he looked me right in the eye, said my name, and well -  the next 10 minutes were kind a blur. I was a dork... super nervous (hence my totally overzealous smile above) and goofy. I fumbled the words "welcome to Texas, uh-huh (you can substitute your own Urkle laugh here)" or something ridiculous like that....He, on the other hand, was warm, funny, talkative, and a lot more humble than I had expected. Oh, and he wears cologne. Quite a bit. But not in a bad way of course! 



Over the years I have collected some quirky U2 paraphernalia. I found these kitschy U2 nesting dolls on Ebay years ago. I think they were hand painted in the Soviet Republic. The Edge on here cracks me up, looks just like him!!



And you know what? My husband is great about this whole "band thing". He thinks I sound junior-high sometimes, but he's been a peach about my U2 fanaticism. So about 7 years ago, when I heard that Ireland was coming out with a stamp,dedicated to U2, I really wanted it. I told my husband that was the only thing I wanted for Christmas. I couldn't believe he did it, but he actually called the postmaster general in Ireland and bought it for me. Yea!! So Sweet!


Above, this autographed by Bono microphone was another gift from my sweet husband, about 8 years ago for Christmas. My boys love to play with this, that is why the microphone has a big dent on the top. 

This is me on the way to their last concert, this past October. I lost count of how many live shows this makes, but I was thrilled that they opened up this show with Ultraviolet, one of my very favourite songs from Achtung Baby (1991). Speaking of that album, see those rings on my fingers? 

Well, perhaps they look familiar because they were on the cover of Achtung Baby.  When this album came out, I decided that I HAD to make myself those rings. Since at that time in my life, I was a metal-smithing major in my junior year of college, I cut some sheet metal (silver) and hand-crafted them, albeit quite crudely. I have worn them to EVERY concert since then. So that makes it -what- 19 years now. These are my rings below.



AND NOW, MY VERY FAVOURITE U2 SONGS:
(click on the song to watch them perform it live)

Bad (you must see this clip from 1985)
Gloria (great live gig from Germany 1983)
In God's Country (live in Dallas 2001. I WAS AT THIS CONCERT!)
MLK (live from Dortmund 1984)
New Year's Day (live Dublin 2009)
Out of Control (live from Werchter 1982)
Pride (In the Name of Love) (live from Slane Castle)
The Fly (live from Boston)
The Unforgettable Fire (live at the Rose Bowl)
Two Hearts Beat As One (the BEST song for your treadmill!)
Vertigo (live8)
Walk On (from the 9/11 tribute)
Where the Streets Have No Name (Rattle & Hum, Sundevil Stadium in Tempe, AZ)
Zoo Station (live from Dublin 1993)

If you're a fellow devotee, what do you think is the best U2 song and why? Or do you have a great U2 memory? Please Share!!

One of my favourite U2 memories (besides hanging out with Bono of course!!) was when my girlfriends and I took a road trip via route 66, circa 1994. Five of us, all in our mid twenties, packed in a suburban headed west from Texas to Las Vegas via this historic highway. For me the hi-light of the trip was the Grand Canyon. I remember this like it was yesterday: We filled a cooler with beer, and drove to find the perfect spot to park. We got out of the car , and opened all the windows and doors, and put in the Joshua Tree & Unforgettable Fire CD's -- full blast. We each grabbed a picnic blanket and took our own respective places of rest and reflection. I sat on the edge of a cliff, with my cowboy hat on, a cold Budweiser (yes, Bud Heavy, not Bud Light) in my hand, my journal in my other hand, and the song "In God's Country" playing loudly through the canyon. I just remember sitting there, looking out at the birds & buzzards soaring through the abyss,  listening to the words of that song, and feeling so happy and peaceful. As the sun was getting close to setting, we piled back in the suburban and headed further west... with more U2 on our speakers. 


And yet, behold... ahead of us... somewhere in Arizona on a two-lane road, was a GIANT HARVEST MOON. If you have never seen one in person, I don't think my descriptions could do it justice. It looked like the planet Jupiter at the end of the road waiting to meet us. What a day. What a night. What a memory. (and yes, that's me with short black hair....this was after my demi moore in "Ghost" phase but before my red-hair phase. I've never been shy to try new hair-do's and colours!)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...