100% American

As we celebrate our Independence Day today, I want to celebrate what I think an American is, from my personal perspective. Of course, our country was built on the foundation that we cherish our freedom and what it means. We are a country comprised of a great mix of people -families and individuals coming from foreign lands to experience our freedom. Here, you are free to speak your country's language, print/publish what's on your mind, and most importantly, practice your own religion. We are a melting pot of civilizations, traditions, and customs. 

I think I am exactly like most Americans - 
A little bit of every culture rolled into one

By birth, I am 50% German, and the rest a mix of Irish & Scottish by way of Texas. (In fact, my husband's family and my family come from the same small county in Ireland hundreds of years ago (1400's to be exact!) - I am sure they knew each other -so weird!)

My mother's stamped passport upon her entry to America from Germany.

My mom, half of her siblings, and my grandparents immigrated from Germany and came to Ellis Island aboard the USS General Langfitt, shown above. It was a retired military Squier-class transport ship, definitely not a luxury cruise ship. My mom said there was no windows in the ship, and it was not a calm  journey. I have a feeling there was a lot of sea-sickness aboard.

She said they all stood on the deck, and soon saw land go from a tiny dot in the sea, to a larger dot, to finally an island. 

They were not told what to expect so she had no pre-conceived idea of what the Statue of Liberty was or looked like. It soon came into view. 

Although I am German-Irish-Scottish, my tastes run all over the place. My favourite food is Japanese with Thai running a close second. I eat sushi probably 4 times a week, and Thai the other days (with some Pizza thrown in). I love Chinese furniture and pottery, and I collect vintage Japanese kimonos, but my favourite clothes happen to be made by Italians and the French.

A Napoleon III Bergere upholstered in vintage American Flags

When I was a teenager, I was convinced that someday I would move to France and work under Emanuel Ungaro. I took French in school and am not fluent, but have been told by the French that I have no American accent when I speak it (but have also had a French guard bring all his co-workers over to laugh together at my circa 1989 passport photo - so it's not all good). But I can speak Spanish fluently, and I definitely have a serious affection to the Mexican (pure happiness means: mariachi's & margaritas while singing "Si Lito Lindo") and Spaniard's cultures (I love the Plaza Mayor in Madrid, not to mention Segovia, Sevilla, Salamanca, Toledo...)

Models wearing the Malandrino dress

From Coli/1st dibs
Lucite Flag Sculpture signed by architect A. William Hajjar, who served as a lieutenant in the Navy in WWII and was also a professor at Penn State.

Ireland's best export U2 is my favourite band, and I could listen to their wonderful Irish accents till the cows come home. While I do think American movies are the best, I feel most happy watching British comedies and especially British mysteries. I am the biggest fan of Agatha Christie. I dream of one day maybe living in Great Britain. I adore everything there. I love English antiques, architecture, tea, gardens...and their sensibility. 

But then I feel right at home in Austria and Germany, where my roots are. I have my own dirndl which I do wear occasionally, although I think my days are numbered of getting my boys into their adorable lederhosen....

My brother and I grew up in lederhosen. This is him above wearing his. My sons at this same age wore theirs just like this. It doesn't get any cuter than this, does it? I just want to pinch his cheeks! But since he's 6 foot 3" now, he doesn't let me. hahahah

On my first extended visit to my Tante & Onkel's house in Southern Germany, we would go in her back yard and gather all the snails from her garden. I remember bringing them to her while she stood at the sink and washed them. I then left the kitchen, having no idea that later they might end up in our lunch. Sometimes not knowing is better, right?

Although I can appreciate the country and gathering snails, I absolutely feel MOST HAPPY being in a big city. It's just like Green Acres:  ♫"New York is where I'd rather stay. I get allergic smelling hay. I just adore a penthouse view. Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue." ♫ (Admit it:  you sang that in your head using an Eva Gabor accent, didn't you?) Having said that (or sung that) I truly also feel just as comfortable being in a small honky tonk wasting the day and night away.... (anyone been to Luckenbach, Texas? Give me some Willie Nelson &Waylon Jennings, a pool table, and a draft-filled frosty schooner and I am in paradise. Texas Style of course.)

Scene from Easy Rider (1969)

Ahhh, the American classic movie Easy Rider. Crazy but .... well, crazy. In my "youth", I lived my own version of Easy Rider. By that I mean, I traveled the country with a Harley-Davidson.

So my old college buddy called me one summer and asked if I wanted to join him and his co-worker on a NASCAR circuit. On a Harley. "uh, YEAH!" (I LOVE motorcycles, especially Harley's. We have a V2, four-stroke 1996 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softtail Classic Custom Cruiser sitting in our garage right now, unfortunately gathering dust since I became a mom and paranoid about safety) But I digress..... 


This was a NASCAR circuit where Coca-Cola sponsored Jeff Gordon (who at this time in the early 1990's was a new-comer. All the older NASCAR fans were Earnhardt fans. (Don't be fooled by my expertise in this, I hadn't even heard of NASCAR or car racing before this) So the deal was, Coca Cola hired his marketing company to follow the circuit, and before the games, we would drive the Harley's around the track and grounds and hand-out ice-cold Coke's to the fans. 

If memory serves correctly, we started in Atlanta. The bikes were housed in this trailer, which we drove to Indianapolis to the big BRICKYARD 400. I sat on the back of the bike, and the sidecar was actually a cooler (shown below) which we filled with ice and bottles of Coke. This was a great experience for me. I got to see parts of America I had never been to. I got to visit with all walks of life, and experience the American tradition of NASCAR. 


This is to me what the typical American is like - just like me. We are a mix of different experiences from different cultures. Cross one state line and you feel like you might of entered a different country - different foods, different dialects, different personalities, social mores, landscape, foods.... you name it. We are a melting pot - the best of everything that is wonderful from different lands and peoples - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But, and not to get all sappy and deep, we have to acknowledge the sacrifices that were made that makes America the great country it is.

Do you know who Uncle Sam is? Uncle Sam is literally the national personification of the United States of America, and sometimes more specifically of the American Government. The first time we saw an Uncle Sam used was during the War of 1812. He was created as a recruiting image/tool with his popularity gaining in the late 1800's, but his peak was seen during the two World Wars. He is a stern elderly man with white hair and a goatee beard (but with no mustache) and his clothing and top hat are reminiscent of the American Flag. Or, if you are a 7 year-old boy like my son, you draw him with three kinky strands as a goatee. I like this image best, don't you? Ahhh, a mother's pride. hahahha....

Remember: freedom is never free!
Happy 4th of July!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...