Art Deco Buildings

Yes, I love all there is about the Art Deco Period. I notice it everywhere I go. I see it on TV and in Magazines. I see it in buildings and in Furnishings. Although I've posted about it before here and here, I'm not anywhere NEAR from stopping. My first exposure to Art Deco Architecture:  I remember it like it was yesterday......(❊harp playing.... begin dream sequence...)

The Pan Pacific Building in Los Angeles (1936)

Recogonize it yet?

How 'bout now?

ahhh, yes. XANADU. 
I was in 5th grade when this movie came out and to an 11 year old girl, there is nothing better than disco rollerskating + Olivia Newton John. But tell me who doesn't remember seeing the Pan American building for the 1st time. This movie is FILLED with Art Deco nods, thanks to co-star Gene Kelly who is fabulous in it.

Dallas is lucky to have probably the largest and arguably one of the most important group of Art Deco Buildings at our Fair Park.

image: Frank Vasquez


above two images: brokenpiggybank/flickr
Buffalo City Hall, NY
Ambassador Hotel, Staten Island NY
Brooklyn Public Library, NY
But while I was in Chicago recently, amongst the plethora of Art Noveau Buildings, was this lovely Deco gem.

image: cashon & co
And of course there are the bits + pieces that adorn these buildings that make me go crazy:
On the OUTSIDE:

Pair of glass & bronze doors, American. 1929 From Bullock's Wilshire Buillding Los Angeles, Donald Parkinson Architect/CITY/1st dibs
Scinde Building 1932-1933
above two images: artdecobuildings
Hermann & Market Streets, San Francisco. Image: David Thompson/dct66/flickr
AND, on the INSIDE:



above 3 images: David Thompson/dct66/flickr
See a theme in the above three pictures? Hard to believe this is the interior of a Church. I am so used to the typical Traditional Sanctuary Architecture, so the images from the Église St-Esprit in District du Vieux-Rosemont, Montreal really leaves me inspired.

And speaking of inspiration.....
Joan Crawford
Joan + Those Elegant Metal Revolving Doors...

Doors, Columns & Steps originally from Paris. Photo taken in San Francisco by Cathy Deschamps Photography.
image: nyperson/flickr
image: krstl_blu/flickr
And NOTHING TO DO WITH BUILDINGS AT ALL, but what would all this be without a little deco for the body? Pieces perhaps inspired by architecture?


Richard Nicoll Canvas Corset Dress on Netaporter 
Tony Duquette Aquamarine ring on 1st Dibs
Crystal and Diamond Brooch, circa 1935 from Kentshire
Kenneth Jay Lane
Enamel and Diamond Earrings, circa 1930's. From Fourtane, Carmel by the Sea
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...